Need help picking a trolling motor - poll

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pick a trolling motor.

• 1. Minn Kota Terrova 55 US2/I-Pilot/60"/12V

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • 2. Minn Kota Terrova 55 US2/I-Pilot/60"/24V

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • 3. Minn Kota Terrova 80 US2/I-Pilot/60"/24V

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaveInGA

Reaction score
The boat:

1986 Bass Tracker Tournament V-17 bass boat, decks and transom all aluminum. Mercury 75 Horse 2 cycle for gas power.

Main use:

Fishing large lakes near Jefferson, GA - Sidney Lanier, Oconee, Hartwell. Possible some river use in Middle Oconee if access can be located within reasonable driving distance. Will mainly pursue blue gills, spotted bass and occasional hybrid striper.

Storage area:

I have a storage area in the front within 5 ft. of the trolling motor. The deck hatch lids look big enough to fit Group 27 batteries through. There is enough room to fit two trolling motor batteries in the area with room to spare. I would rather not put three due to weight.

There is also a storage area in the back that originally contained two 6 gallon steel gas tanks, two group 27 batteries, (one trolling motor battery and one starting battery). I am removing the trolling motor battery from this area to make room for a more modern plastic gas tank.

Based on your experience, please help me pick the better trolling motor for my application. There is a $260.00 difference between the least expensive and most expensive option.

i voted number 3, always get the most thrust you can afford. better too much than not enough. not sure you need the 60 inch shaft though....and thr terrova's a good choice, still have the foot control option..

I picked #1 because I get all day use out of my single battery 12v without running out of juice. (18' bare bones tracker grizzly that I wish was heavier so not to blow around in the wind)

Check out the minn kota site there is something on there about overpowering and underpowering a boat. Maybe in the troubleshooting section or faq. I can't remember.

And You mentioned weight, so there would be less up there with one battery.

Fishing large lakes you said so you'll be using your gas motor to get where you are fishing.

#1.
I have a 04 tracker PT175 w/ a 60 hp 2 stroke that came with a 43# MG 5 speed TM when I bought it new. Never had a problem in trolling/longlining for crappie all day, or as long as I wanted to anyways. Upgraded to a MK 55 Terrova w/IP last October, can troll/longline 4 or more hours anytime I want at .7 up to 1.2 mph, get home and may have used 25% of the charge. I pull crank baits at times at 1.5mph or more, and may use 50% of the charge then, but only if I pull CB's for extended periods. The MK will pull my boat at 2.3mph on 8 or 9 if needed to scoot across a cove, etc., instead of cranking the 60. People say get as much as you can afford, but if you're not going to need that extra power except in rare cases, why spend the $$. IMO. I am happy/pleased with my choice and would do the same again.

TNtroller said:
#1.
I have a 04 tracker PT175 w/ a 60 hp 2 stroke that came with a 43# MG 5 speed TM when I bought it new. Never had a problem in trolling/longlining for crappie all day, or as long as I wanted to anyways. Upgraded to a MK 55 Terrova w/IP last October, can troll/longline 4 or more hours anytime I want at .7 up to 1.2 mph, get home and may have used 25% of the charge. I pull crank baits at times at 1.5mph or more, and may use 50% of the charge then, but only if I pull CB's for extended periods. The MK will pull my boat at 2.3mph on 8 or 9 if needed to scoot across a cove, etc., instead of cranking the 60. People say get as much as you can afford, but if you're not going to need that extra power except in rare cases, why spend the $$. IMO. I am happy/pleased with my choice and would do the same again.

not sure what size battery you have, and you may be able to troll those speeds for that amount of time but id have to think there is little or no wind for that to happen. i say buy the most power you can because ive had rare cases wher i was on vacation fishing using the TM to troll walleyes in strong wind when the bite was hot and my 55 with 1 12volt made me have to stop that presentation....

Decided to go with option three. Bought the charger and other items necessary to install during the build yesterday. Mounting battery trays and charger today.

While a little late to weigh in, I would have voted on #3.
I think you are going to be very happy with your selection.
I have a Minn Kota Riptide 80, 24v iPilot that will pull me around
all afternoon and has even brought me back to my dock. I have new
batteries with an onboard charger so I don't have to worry about those. :)
Jerry

Latest posts