need help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I an old 1977 115 johonson v4 outboard runs great but the controle box is on the frits.The choke does not work therfori got to reach back and choke the motor by hand and it seems like it takes the motor a wile to cach up with controles wen you throtle up any tips on how on how to fix this or how much a replacement box would be and wear i can get on i would like some hellp on this thank you :D :D :D .

In my opinion the choke problem could either be a bad choke switch, broken wire or bad choke solenoid. Neither of which should be terribly expensive to fix. Easy check with a multimeter. If you don't have one Wallyworld has one that will work for around $10. As far as the controls it sounds like your cables are 'dragging' inside the housing and need a good lubing. I previously owned an '88 Johnson 70, I took the cables loose and sprayed lube in both ends. It is a long cable so it takes a bit of spraying and working the cable to get the lube the entire length but it can be done.

Check for current to the choke solenoid with the multimeter like phased mentioned. However, I am not so sure of the cable dragging idea if it takes the motor a while to throttle up, provided that the handle still moves smoothly, and it doesn't drag. It could be that the cable is worn out, so instead of the cable moving, the sleeve is moving. Way to check that would be to inspect the cable looking for splits and such. Likely, these will happen at the ends of the cable.

However, I think you probably have a slight timing issue in the motor. I would go check the plug gap, and make sure the electronic ignition is linked and synced correctly. I really need to do the above to my motor, as it shows some of the same issues yours does. And, it can't be cables, as it is a gear driven tiller.

If you smoothly apply full throttle and the engine lags it could be what the others have mentioned and it could be partially clogged fuel filter,screen in the carb(s),or dirty carbs.If the motor has multiple carbs they could be out of sync.

phased said:
In my opinion the choke problem could either be a bad choke switch, broken wire or bad choke solenoid. Neither of which should be terribly expensive to fix. Easy check with a multimeter. If you don't have one Wallyworld has one that will work for around $10. As far as the controls it sounds like your cables are 'dragging' inside the housing and need a good lubing. I previously owned an '88 Johnson 70, I took the cables loose and sprayed lube in both ends. It is a long cable so it takes a bit of spraying and working the cable to get the lube the entire length but it can be done.
Just wondering phased....what did you lube the cables with?

I use a teflon based lube.I can't remeber the name right off but I got it at Lowes.I would hang my cables and put a drip pan under them.Then I would give the cable housing a good squirt where the cable enters.I wipe off any that trys to run down the out side.I'd do this a few times until the lube ran out the other end of the cable.Some that are real stick may need a penatrating lube to break up the gunk in side the cable housing.I have saved many lawn mower and motorcycle cables this way.

kentuckybassman I used an aerosol white lithium. It took a while and lots of cable pulling and pushing but it worked. Most people would have replaced the cable but I am stubborn and will not throw things away if I can extend their life. If you have a forklift dealer around the "Crown" forklift company makes a great lube called "Premium chain & lube. Sprays thin but thickens after a few minutes.

Latest posts