Need opinions with choosing outboards

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zerofivenismo

Reaction score
Okay, here's the deal. I am looking at two similar power outboards for my 14' jon boat. I have not seen the motors personally, only through photos and conversation with the owners. Both are short shaft, 15hp, pull start, tiller, and priced at $600 (definitely room for negotiations). The first is a 1988 Evinrude outboard with new water pump and impeller and is about 1 hr away. The second is a 1990 Gamefisher outboard. I'd have to drive a couple hours to check this motor out in person. Owner states the outboard was bought new, used a handful of times (<10hrs), and stored in his basement for the past 15 years :shock:. And he hasn't tried starting it since he sold the boat and put motor in storage. With an outboard in haitus that long, I'm not sure if it'll need carb cleaning, new water pump, impeller, etc to make it run in top shape. Per my search on the web, the Gamefisher in question is a rebadged Force outboard and parts can be found thru Merc parts sites.

I'm leaning towards the 'Rude outboard, but definitely don't want to rule out the Gamefisher. Tho the rude may have alot more hours on it, it has wider array of parts available, greater following, and a reputation of quality motors. Gamefisher is newer but has been lounging around for a long time; not sure if she wants to get off that couch without much persuasion and coaxing. Also seems to be a lot of Force motors for sale as parts motors. Give me what's on your mind. Thanks.

I wouldn't be scare of either of them. That being said I would probably go check out the one thats closer (Evinrude). If it seems sound then get it. Then go fishing. The other is probably a good motor too but you will have to spend money on it before you begin to enjoy it. Good luck either way.

I would go with the Evinrude as it is a lot closer to you, and has a good reputation. They are real easy to find parts for, new and used.

Deadmeat said:
I'd go with the Evinrude. I had a 1988 30 hp Evinrude and that thing was bulletproof.
Was that a, "Hey, hold my beer and watch this!" kind of moment? :lol:

In all seriousness, both motors might need a little maintenance, but certainly check out the closer motor first. If it's not what you expect, I don't see any harm in going to look at motor #2.

Keep us up to date with your choice!

i wouldnt own another sears motor again if it was givin to me. you cant beat them old ruds and johnsons, got one thats 50 years old and still kickin strong

Well, seems like I will have to wait until Monday eve to check out the Evinrude, since owner is leaving town for trout season down in Bennett Springs, MO as I type . Still keeping my eyes peeled :shock: for other deals on CL in the meantime. Again thanks for the inputs, keep'em coming, and I will update you fellas after I check it out.

Okay, here's an update on my motor quest. Seller didn't make it back in town until Monday night, so I had to wait until yesterday afternoon to look at the motor. After checking out the outboard, I went ahead and bought it. Outboard cold started up on the third pull, idled smoothly, throttle reponse was good, and water stream was strong. Seller had just replaced impeller and cleaned carb. Under the hood, everything seem in good condition (Not a mech by any means). Drained some fluid from the LU, no metal shavings or milky fluid. The cowling has seen better days tho. I plan to re-paint it, so everything should look cleaner. Outboard color scheme matches my gray boat nicely to boot. Thanks for your input guys.

Attachments

• Rude15.jpg
    Rude15.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 519
  • Rude151.jpg
    Rude151.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 519
  • Rude152.jpg
    Rude152.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 519
Looks like a good buy. The force motors are rebadged Chrysler motors, I believe there are a lot of parts motors because there is no new parts to fix them.

Buy the genuine light blue metallic paint from your local boat dealer that sells Bombardier parts. They will have to order it. I think it's around $8.00 a can. Spray the motor down with degreaser (I use oven cleaner lol) then lightly sand it. Tape and spray.
I re-painted an Evinrude identical to yours and it came out looking new. That color paint comes out perfect and its fairly easy.
It turns out way better then white or black or any other color for that matter.

That cowl looks pretty bad and they usually don't come out looking that good unless you strip all the paint and buy new decals.
I would look on ebay for a replacement.

Thanks for the tips whoopbass. I plan to strip all the cowling paint and get new decals. I'll also keep an eye out on ebay for a possible replacement. What grit do you sand with for best adhesion?

Latest posts