Need some ideas for my MOD

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhioAngler

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Its been a few years since I have been on this site but I am glad to be back. I am starting my mod with my 2009 Alumacraft 1648 Jon. I have a 2009 9.9 Mercury tiller motor. I havent been able to use this boat as much as I would like, and one thing I know for sure is the flat bench seats arent the most comfortable. We have had ridiculously good weather this winter in ohio (63 degrees set for this wednesday) and I have decided to get this boat nice for this years fishing season. Below is just a stock photo of my ride with a few things that will be on the boat. I need some ideas of maybe placement and what else should be included. I have a motorguide foot controlled trolling motor which will be mounted off the bow. Also the black square is not a deck, but merely a sheet of plywood i had put down for a smooth standing surface.

Thanks!

Attachments

• MV-1648(15&20).png
    MV-1648(15&20).png
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,189
I would avoid the two batteries on the starboard side of the stern...move them forward.

Like in the stock storage area of the middle seat? i'm a newbie to this, I have seen add lot of great mods over the years just not a lot to my model type of Jon.

OhioAngler said:
Like in the stock storage area of the middle seat? i'm a newbie to this, I have seen add lot of great mods over the years just not a lot to my model type of Jon.

Take a look at my thread. I have 2 deep cycle batteries mounted in the center seat of my 1648.

Gill-

I absolutely love the idea of putting the batteries in the center "storage" area. I am also wanting to somehow install a livewell on this so I can do some of the tournaments. (yeah i know I have a 9.9hp merc 4 stroke, but sometimes its all about knowledge of the lake and not about who gets there first)

Anyone have suggestions for proven tried and true livewell kits?

Ohio,

I don't run a live well in my boat right now, but I may put together one of these. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your project.

https://www.tinboats.net/index.php/Projects/building-a-livewell.html

Here is my updated plan. Project begins Wednesday, my only concerns (im hoping you all will chip in) is whether or not my boat will have a smooth ride. I would like a livewell on my rig. The only thing I could think of is instead of a storage and deck extension on the front, Is to make that an extended deck/livewell and put storage behind the middle seat.

Any input is great guys!

Attachments

• Jon Boat Model.png
    Jon Boat Model.png
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,091
Livewell on the side of the boat will make it list to one side. Water weighs 8.33lbs/gallon. 20 gallon livewell is 166lbs and you will want it centered as much as possible. I put mine in the center seat so it didn't take up room I put one battery up front in the storage area centered (for the trolling motor) and one in back next to the gas tank, again, centered. (for everything else)

you can see a little more on my build for ideas if it would help.....

Looks good but you want to center weight as much as possible, especially with a foot control troll motor on a jon boat. If troll motor is powerful it can get hairy navigating with foot control so you do not want an uneven balance of weight making things even worst.

Everyone here has a good point with moving your batteries to split the weight up. I've seen lots of mods where people put the livewell in the center storage area. It centers the weight on all axis of the boat. Hope it helps!!!

Also, if you're looking for a place for your batteries, I put mine under the front deck. I hinged the vertical plywood that comes down from the casting deck to the plywood floor of the boat. That way, I can just tip it up and change batteries if needed. With the weight of the motor and gas tank, it'll help spread the weight out.

Anyone have anything against regular "outdoor" carpet. Marine carpet is too rich for my blood. I was thinking of going with Beaulieu Perfection - Color Gray outdoor carpet sold my Home Depot.

I dont want it to be falling apart after a season of fishing, obviously you get what you pay for.... but..... lol

Attachments

• 2978641_14003743_290.jpg
    2978641_14003743_290.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 994
I was looking at the exact same stuff to put in mine. The price is awesome, and the carpet looks pretty decent as well. I think I've seen a few people use it around here, but I could be mistaken.In theory, if it's glued down well, and the plywood it's glued to is waterproof, there shouldn't be a problem right?

OhioAngler said:
Anyone have anything against regular "outdoor" carpet. Marine carpet is too rich for my blood. I was thinking of going with Beaulieu Perfection - Color Gray outdoor carpet sold my Home Depot.

I dont want it to be falling apart after a season of fishing, obviously you get what you pay for.... but..... lol

My alumacraft mod was done with home depot outdoor carpet and it held up pretty good! I saw the boat last summer with the guy I sold it to and it looked great for being 4-5 yrs old.

Latest posts