New and BROKE!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EagleBaseball

Reaction score
Hello everyone, MY name is Thomas and I am currently working at the leon county sheriff's office and enrolled at the local community college, Tallahassee CC. I am also on the basball team there. My passion lies with fishing though. My father has a 21 ft sailfish CC that we keep down at my beach house in the Shell Point Paradise Village. Saltwater is where most of my fishing is done but would like nothing more than to be able to go right around the corner to many of the Tallahassee ponds and lakes such as Iomonia, Jackson Seminole, ad Talquin. Here is my my problem... I have no money. My grandfather has a OLD 14ft around 36" inside rivited jon that I'm pretty sure leaks from every rivit on the boat lol. Why I joined is I was wondering if yall would be able to lend some of the ideas and tricks yall have come up with in the past to try and fix'r up. Any suggestions are welcome and I will try to post picture of the POS lol. My budget is somewhat flexable anywhere between a grand and fifteen hundred dollars. Thanks guys and I am very impressed with everyone's rigs, I think I found this site about a month ago and have looked at something new everyday since. Thanks Agian Thomas

Welcome aboard man I did my boat for about $300 and most of that was paint that I changed twice. My best suggestion is get it out on the water and see what you want to add storage floors and so on. keep it clean and simple the best thing about these tin boats is that they are a blank canvas I used stuff I had laying around. Good luck and keep us posted

Welocme Thomas,

Thanks for joining!

Put the boat up on some stilts and fill her up with water to see which rivets are leaking. Let us know what the outcome is!

Jim said:
Welocme Thomas,

Thanks for joining!

Put the boat up on some stilts and fill her up with water to see which rivets are leaking. Let us know what the outcome is!

X 2 mate

also use a crayon and circle your leaks as well, this way you have a record to go back to fix :wink:

Welcome Aboard! I played JC baseball as well and D. II as well. I now coach at the high school level. Fill with water and mark is great advice. Leaking rivets shouldn't deter you as they are easy to fix.

Thanks to all. Well last night I got started. I cleaned out the boat the best I could. Then the next step... getting it up on some stilts. The problem began with me not haveing any stilts. So the ghetto rigging began. My folks are outta town so i had unlimmited resources at the house. What I came up with was Three bar Stools with plastic trash bags over the top of them... Will try to link pics later today when i get home from work... I then filled it with water. The crayon idea probably woulda worked better but I resorted to a Sharpie. I marked out all the rivits I could see leaking, even if it was just a bit. I ended up with just over 30 leaking bits :( . So now I am to the part of fixing them and am wondering what is the stuff I need to use? Thanks agian for the help guys!

Welcome aboard! :D You can more than likely get most of the rivets to stop leaking by rebucking them. Lean the boat on its side against a tree or something and have someone on the inside of the boat hold a heavy piece of metal like a sledge hammer head against the tail of the rivet. Then from the outside tap the rivet head with a hammer. This will cause the tail to flatten out and tighten up the rivet. You don't have to hit it very hard and a couple of knocks should do it. Just practice on a rivet above the waterline to get the feel of it. The best part is this method is free. After you do this you can test the boat with water again and then use all the goopy type solutions to fix any rivets that still leak. Putting sealer on an already loose rivet won't fix the problem and will end up causing further problems such as cracked ribs.(the boats, not yours) :D

EagleBaseball said:
So the ghetto rigging began. :lol:

My folks are outta town so i had unlimmited resources at the house. :lol: :lol:

What I came up with was Three bar Stools with plastic trash bags over the top of :LMFAO: them... :LMFAO:

Great start, Your doing fine :D

FishingBuds said:
EagleBaseball said:
So the ghetto rigging began. :lol:

My folks are outta town so i had unlimmited resources at the house. :lol: :lol:

What I came up with was Three bar Stools with plastic trash bags over the top of :LMFAO: them... :LMFAO:

So, if one of the bar stools break, do you think your parents will believe you when you tell them a boat ran over it, lol!? :shock: :lol:

LOL not really sure but if the didn't my boat fund woulda taken a hit right off the bat. I took ouachita's advice and did some light taping on each of the leaking rivits with some success. I'm off today to purchase some 3M 5200 sealant, (Everywhere I looked said it was my best choice). After I get that on I will be dropping the boat in the water come tomorrow afternoon to see the results. I also may be buying some paint and primer. Does anyone know which would probably be my best choice? If not I'll go with Biggun's solution. I don't know if it would be worth my time to mess with painting the bottom but I know for a fact I am going to have the inside Rhino Lined. Anyone's thought on that are welcome as well.... Thanks again to all.