New boat and Floatation Pods

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKHunter

Reaction score
I am a new member that keeps looking at other's work and am amazed. I started with a 1968 Sears 1436 Jon and quickly (two weeks)determined it was not going to fit my wants. (Not all is bad in that my nephew wanted it and got his first boat, motor and trailer). I now have a 1986 Lowe 1448 with a 40 HP mercury and it was already decked etc. I will remove plywood and such after duck season and replace with aluminum and otherwise make it my own. I am also looking into adding Floatation pods due to the weight of the motor and I wanted move the trolling motor battery to the back. Thought that would give me extra floatation. Any thoghts.

The pods will help with floatation and getting out of the hole when accelleratiog. How low does the boat sit in the water in the rear? You may not need them but better safe than sorry.

The boat moves pretty good. Runs about 35mph with me, my son, my lab and all fishing gear. I wanted more power than the small boat with a 5 hp. Probably come in handy when we load to duck hunt. Seems like it sits lower in the back and that is what the water line looks like. I will take a picture and post it to see what you all think. When we run it seems the water is higher at the transom. Not coming over the transom even when I stop.

My 1542 had a 15" transom. With a full fuel tank and 2 people sitting in the seats the rear of the boat was drafting 6-7 inches. Almost half the height of the transom was submerged. I was a little concerned about it at first. But after going from full throttle to full stop and no water coming over the top. I was confident. I think I even posted my concern over it on here. I remember being told. " hey its a jon boat its going to sit low, get used to it". I did and it was never a problem. Not even when negatiating wakes of 40' powerboats running at close to 60mph!

Latest posts