New boat day ......let the mods begin !

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great progress! Glad to see you coated the wood with resin, and no it will not chip. It amazes me how many will put in wood, decking or transoms and not put any resin for water proofing. In my opinion the spar is good, but resin is **** near completely waterproof, and it's strong stuff to boot. Great job on the boat!

Yep.....I am really enjoying the work. I am a cronic "tinker'er" by nature so this boat project is right up my alley :D . I am fortunate to own some nice industrial wood working tools/machines so I can make pretty much anything I want from scratch. I too often wondered why some people install wood on their boat and forgo the most important step which is to properly waterproof their work. My procedure is as follows : Use only marine grade plywood, glue everything heavily with Titebond waterproof glue, use only stainless steel fasteners, apply two coats of epoxy resin to ALL wood surfaces, apply two final finish coats of waterproof & UV resistant paint. I think by using this method, while more expensive and time consuming , it will yield a far superior finished product that will last for many years.

Here is a pic of my front bench seat assembly. I just put the final coat of epoxy resin on it. Next comes sanding and final paint finishing. The small pieces on the ends are to supply a sturdy base to mount my Driftmaster rod holders.

I applied the first of three final paint finishes to my front bow assembly. I will block sand it tomarrow and do coat #2. The color is khaki tan.