New Boat - First Timer - Looking to Strip and Repaint

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishing88

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new to the site and have some questions. I purchased this V-hull boat a little while back and have had it out on the water a few times without any leaks or anything. First can anyone tell me what kind of boat it is. I can't find any numbers or identification on the hull. The previous owner described it as a (John Boat) but that was all.

Second seeing's as how the paint is chipping off and some of it is down to the aluminum I'd like to strip it down to the bare aluminum and do a nice paint job on it. So far I have a few cans of Aircraft Stripper, Rust-Oleum Self Etching Primer, and two 3M Paint Stripper Wheels. From what I can tell so far the outer layer of paint is a blue and white color and underneath it is a green color but only on the inside of the boat. I want to paint it either a light gray, green, or black and red color. Any advice on what paint I should use (rattle can or Spray Gun) is greatly appreciated. I have a large 150gal compressor and decent spray guns if I go that route. I'm trying to decide whether to Gluvit or not because I don't have any leaks so far.

I plan on taking it out on a few local rivers and possibly getting a small engine for it. The guy I bought it from had a 25hp engine on the back of it before I bought it. I plan on taking all of the rotting wood off the seats and deleting the front bar thing he put on there. Reason being is it makes getting on and out of the boat a real pain. I've read that adding any type of flooring to it would be a bad idea because of a possible low weight capacity and stability issues. I would like to possibly make a very low lying lightweight floor to flatten out the bottom so its easier to walk on. I appreciate any tips, ideas, or advice anyone can share. Thanks.

Boat 1.jpgBoat 2.jpgBoat 3.jpg

Latest posts