New boat/Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mack17

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to this site I've been checking things out for about a week and decided I'd ad my boat to the list here that I just bought about a month ago.It's a 1979 14' Alweld bass/jon boat with a 1980 Johnson 70hp.It's in pretty good shape for it's age but I'm getting ready to overhaul it.I've already changed out the fuel line,filter,primer bulb and quick connects and also cleaned out the tank and pickup because it was starving for fuel the first time I got it on the water.It ran perfectly fine in the previous owners driveway but of course alot of them do when you're buying them lol.But now she runs perfectly fine other than the tilt cylinder started to leak at the top cap the 3rd time I took it out.I bought a new oring/seal kit and cap because the cap was coroded where the wiper seal goes. Which is what was causing the leak so just waiting on it to be delivered.The boat runs pretty good I estimate 35-40mph at wot.I plan on repainting it either camo "khaki" or olive drab green.I'm also going to tear out the front decking because the fiberglass under the carpet has rotted around the storage lids so just going to replace with pressure treated plywood and throw some fresh carpet back on.I'm also going to get ahold of Alweld to get some factory decals for it and then repaint motor and put the decals on as well.I plan on starting this weekend or next but here's some pics for yall to get an idea.Great site btw ~ Ronnie...

Attachments

• 1375592713372.jpg
    1375592713372.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 834
  • 1375592751509.jpg
    1375592751509.jpg
    480.6 KB · Views: 834
  • CAM01917(1).jpg
    CAM01917(1).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 834
  • CAM01918.jpg
    CAM01918.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 834
  • CAM01920.jpg
    CAM01920.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 834
  • CAM01922.jpg
    CAM01922.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 834
  • Screenshot_2013-07-27-19-29-22.png
    Screenshot_2013-07-27-19-29-22.png
    167.7 KB · Views: 834
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=327067#p327067 said:
Mack17 » 22 Aug 2013, 20:49[/url]"]Hey guys I'm new to this site I've been checking things out for about a week and decided I'd ad my boat to the list here that I just bought about a month ago.It's a 1979 14' Alweld bass/jon boat with a 1980 Johnson 70hp.It's in pretty good shape for it's age but I'm getting ready to overhaul it.I've already changed out the fuel line,filter,primer bulb and quick connects and also cleaned out the tank and pickup because it was starving for fuel the first time I got it on the water.It ran perfectly fine in the previous owners driveway but of course alot of them do when you're buying them lol.But now she runs perfectly fine other than the tilt cylinder started to leak at the top cap the 3rd time I took it out.I bought a new oring/seal kit and cap because the cap was coroded where the wiper seal goes. Which is what was causing the leak so just waiting on it to be delivered.The boat runs pretty good I estimate 35-40mph at wot.I plan on repainting it either camo "khaki" or olive drab green.I'm also going to tear out the front decking because the fiberglass under the carpet has rotted around the storage lids so just going to replace with pressure treated plywood and throw some fresh carpet back on.I'm also going to get ahold of Alweld to get some factory decals for it and then repaint motor and put the decals on as well.I plan on starting this weekend or next but here's some pics for yall to get an idea.Great site btw ~ Ronnie...

Thanks Ronnie, and welcome. Did you make any progress yet??? Your boat is going to be amazing when you are done with it - I can tell, because it's already pretty awesome!

I am not sure but I think I remember reading that pressure treated plywood is a no no. Something about the chemicals being hard on the aluminum(pitting, errosion). Sure someone will chime in. Cool boat by the way,and good luck with the rebuild.

Hey guys thanks for the replies. No sorry hav'nt got started on anything yet.Took it out fishing a couple times and just got some time in running it.Runs pretty good with the 70hp johnson.But now been dealing with the power tilt/trim has'nt been working right.Plus got laid off from work so that has put everything on the back burner.Once I get back to work and get some extra money I plan on sanding down and repainting hull that camo khaki color.Then redoing the decking and carpet and eventually installing a stereo since it already has holes cut for speakers from previous owner.Just trying to figure out if I want to recarpet it or go with the awlgrip paint.Then going to get the motor repainted with the original decals put back on it.So have some work ahead of me.Its alright for now but just needs a good overhaul.Its a 1448 alweld jon boat but someone at some point converted it to a side console bass boat.I got it for $1000 so wasnt a bad deal.Whoever did the conversion did a good job with it but got some rotted wood under passenger seat that needs to be replaced and some other small things but nothing too major.I just can't wait to get started should be soon hopefully.I'll jump back on here once I get close to starting to give a heads up. Thanks again,Ronnie.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=328208#p328208 said:
johnnybassboat » 02 Sep 2013, 20:58[/url]"]I am not sure but I think I remember reading that pressure treated plywood is a no no. Something about the chemicals being hard on the aluminum(pitting, errosion). Sure someone will chime in. Cool boat by the way,and good luck with the rebuild.

I believe you are correct. Treated is a no-no

Nice boat! can't wait to see some progress

Alrighty just a little update: I went out on boat today to do a little fishing but 2hrs in I noticed that the mid section swivel bracket bushings took a crap so called it a day and decided to start tearing apart the boat once I got home now that it is out of commission.So far I got the deck lids off and all the old hinges off,got the trolling motor and bow pedestal seat out and tore up most of the carpet.I still have some old fiberglass that was under the carpet to get off.Other than that the decking looks good there's a sheet of aluminum on top of the wood so I should be able to re-glue the new carpet back down without any issues.I left the back deck alone because it's in pretty good shape.So before I re-do the carpet and deck lids I'm going to start sanding and priming the boat to get that ready for fresh paint.Then put in the new carpet and deck lids.After that I have to work on the motor I have to replace the tilt/trim unit and now either the whole mid section swivel bracket or just the bushings.So I have a little bit of work ahead of me.Plus get the motor repainted. Anyways that's where I'm at right now.Here's some pics...

Attachments

• CAM02101.jpg
    CAM02101.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 451
  • CAM02103.jpg
    CAM02103.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 451
  • CAM02104.jpg
    CAM02104.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 451
  • CAM02106.jpg
    CAM02106.jpg