New guy with 10' foot Jon ?'s

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Towmotor

Reaction score
Hey people, what's good? I recently acquired a ten foot jon with TM for the outrageously high price of $50. I've been going back and forth between just throwing it in the water as-is or doin a few mods. Now, being the "militant" that I am, it's getting a paint job in my favorite shade of olive regardless. My question revolves around some plans I have for it. I've been thinking about putting in a "deck" between the rear-most bench and the transom. The only purpose this would serve would be to cover my battery and charger. (Obviously, it would be hinged to allow access.) This would also raise the seat height ever so slightly. I'd also like to put a deck between the bow and the middle bench with either a "supply hatch" or just an opening for a larger flip-top cooler I have. This deck would be solely for laying stuff out so I wouldn't have to go hunting on the floor for items. In between the middle and rear benches I'd put a "floor". Maybe. I AM aware that smaller fishing boats can be had for reasonable prices, but I don't get out enough to justify the cost. Or gas. Or insurance.

So, here's my question. Is it worth the time? And would the added weight cause a problem on such a small boat? Keep in mind I will be going solo any time I "shove off". lol. If it helps any, I'm 6' tall and weigh around 215.

Thanks in advance.

Towmotor

Welcome Aboard! Just going by the length of the boat at 10', I'm guessing it's not real wide, so if a deck were added, I'd place it on top of the existing deck for comfort of moving around. You may not want to get it top-heavy and possibly capsize. Do you have any pics to post? Those always help the members when providing advice/tips. Once again, welcome aboard! 8)

No pics yet. Will work on that tomorrow.
The decks will NOT be used as casting decks, but if thought to make it too top-heavy I'll avoid it.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Towmotor

Hmm, no plate. The guy I got it from thinks he knows where it fell off (?). Or he may have been hallucinating. lol Otherwise, no info anywhere on the boat.

Towmotor

Welcome aboard - glad to se anotehr PA person here. Are you fishing lake Harmony in Blakeslee?

As was said before, pictures always help

Good luck

Definitely going to try and hit Lake Harmony along with some other spots up there. I'm a full-time Montco resident so most of my fishing will be around here--Nockamixon, Green Lane, the Wiss and the Dirty Sure-Kill for those nasty cats I've been hearing about.

Towmotor

Pics.

yaddaandboat065.jpg

Here's my 12' conversion. It may give you some ideas.

https://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s235/bcritch3/Jon%20Boat%20Conversion/

bcritch said:
Here's my 12' conversion. It may give you some ideas.

https://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s235/bcritch3/Jon%20Boat%20Conversion/

Looks great, BCR. Don't think I can go the "full-blown" conversion route, though. But thanks for the pics!

Towmotor

Great Pics! :D

After seeing your boat, I would deck the rear to hide the battery and what not like you said, and then just a carpet a floor for the other sections.

One more question......................How "big" of a trolling motor will I need to move this thing effectively? As seen in the pics, it came with a 1/2 horsepower TM but I don't know how that converts to lbs/thrust. I was thinking 36.

Towmotor

Towmotor said:
One more question......................How "big" of a trolling motor will I need to move this thing effectively? As seen in the pics, it came with a 1/2 horsepower TM but I don't know how that converts to lbs/thrust. I was thinking 36.

Towmotor

You can get away with a 36, but on real windy days you will wish you had bigger. The biggest they make in 12v is 55#'s I think. If your budget allows it, I would go with the biggest 12v motor I could get. Better to have and not need In my opinion.

Here is a link for thrust vs horsepower....Way over my head :LOL2:

https://www.woodenboat.com/forum//archive/index.php/t-3393.html

Jim said:
If your budget allows it, I would go with the biggest 12v motor I could get. Better to have and not need In my opinion.

Here is a link for thrust vs horsepower....Way over my head :LOL2:

https://www.woodenboat.com/forum//archive/index.php/t-3393.html

Agreed! And thanks for the link.

Towmotor.

Well, started the painting today, but ran out of time. Wiil get pics up when done. Hopefully by Tuesday.
Also, the bottom has epoxy on all of the rivets (a precautionary measure taken by the previous owner) and most of it is peeling off. What would be the best budget replacement for it?

Towmotor

Towmotor said:
Well, started the painting today, but ran out of time. Wiil get pics up when done. Hopefully by Tuesday.
Also, the bottom has epoxy on all of the rivets (a precautionary measure taken by the previous owner) and most of it is peeling off. What would be the best budget replacement for it?

Towmotor

Remove it, then fill the boat a little with water and see if they are leaking. If leaking, maybe bang them out (flatten them a bit) and you should be ok.