New guy With a new boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you post the name of the dealer that sold that package? I think even Judge Judy would award you a jackplate.

Here's my setup. I pulled the block out so you can see more clearly how high my motor mount is above the top of the transom. I measured it, the block is 2 3/4".
e1852e69-79b3-4eeb-9c6a-6549734d470f_zpsb7c55c40.jpg
This one gives a little better look at the braces. Not an ideal setup, but it works for now. Really, the braces should have been longer to be at a 45 degree angle, but the rod holder rack made an ideal mounting location for me without having to drill a hole in the gunnel
IMAG0129_zps37174030.jpg

Kind of hard to see with the rod holder in the way but it is raining and i dont want to go get a new pic.
you can see the top bolts and see how high the motor is mounted

Attachments

• Rod holder.jpg
    Rod holder.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 622
Yeah, judging from the bolt holes on the bracket it looks like our motors are mounted about the same height on the transom, but mine doesn't stick down like that. The front of my foot is just a hair above flush. I wonder what the difference is?

That jet foot is low for sure.Here is you fix and costs about $140.00 these are from CMC and give you vertical adjustment and only about 1/4" of setback witch is nothing
CMC-50012-5-INCH-verticle-extension-for-jack-plates-transoms-500.jpg

https://www.thmarine.com/products/Outboard-Jack-Plates/Static-Height-Plates/CMC-Static-Jack-Plate-5-inch-vertical-extension

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=315988#p315988 said:
hotshotinn » 10 minutes ago[/url]"]That jet foot is low for sure.Here is you fix and costs about $140.00 these are from CMC and give you vertical adjustment and only about 1/4" of setback witch is nothing
CMC-50012-5-INCH-verticle-extension-for-jack-plates-transoms-500.jpg
I made something similar to that for my old boat. Used 5/16" thick 3" aluminum angle bolted on the inside of the transom, then two squares of 3/4" plywood to make it the same thickness as the transom, ran my mounting bolts through the plywood and angle. Worked pretty good, pics are in the build thread in my signature.

I think that would be perfect. I will definetly check on them.
Thanks. Do the holes line up with the original holes in the transom or will i have to drill new ones? It dont matter was just curious.

Well after a few phone calls with the dealer, they said to bring it back so they can run it and see what options they have to fixing the problem.
They said that a jackplate wont hurt anything but they never had to put one on the 1648, but they do put them on the 17 foots.

The dealer has had my boat for a week now and the best they could do for me was to install the jackplate for free if I buy the jackplate.
I told them no that I wasn't paying for anything because it was not properly set up. The dealer came back with he will do it for $100. I told him I will be up to pick up my boat today. After getting there to pick up my boat I told them if I have to pay for anything I will pay a different dealer to do the work for me and I was done with them. The dealer said to call back on July 8th to set up an appointment to have my jackplate installed at there cost. So after a bunch of phone calls and going to get my boat, they finally gave in and going to fix the problem.

I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to know if the jack plate solved your problem. My buddy has the same thing with his boat. Looking at a jack plate or those CMC 5" vertical extensions. Thanks...

Yes, the jackplate helped out alot. i still have a little spray but i installed a splashplate and now i have no complaints. Clocked it at 31mph with me and the wife and our gear, using my gps speedometer. I dont think i will get any faster than that.

nice boat and trailer id like to be able to make a trip from richmond va up to fish the susky

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=364660#p364660 said:
Downtown » Yesterday, 18:10[/url]"]Yes, the jackplate helped out alot. i still have a little spray but i installed a splashplate and now i have no complaints. Clocked it at 31mph with me and the wife and our gear, using my gps speedometer. I dont think i will get any faster than that.

One more question. Could you give me some details on the jack plate you got, like what brand it is or the model number. I would like to get one with the smallest amount of setback. I found a Vance manual jack with 3" setback, thats the smallest I've found as of yet. Thanks again!!!

10 years ago we did the exact same thing on my buddy John's Tracker/Griz. Added a Manual Transom Jack Plate from Bob's Machine Shop. Then we welded a 16-17" section of 1.5x1.5 angle to the transom and put a 4" UHMW cap over the intake.

John picked up 4mph, lost the cavitation issues and went from being unhappy to being thrilled. Boat was used on the Delaware, Susquehanna and Juniata rivers in PA.

Here is a pic of the jackplate and splashplate. As of yesterday i no longer have this boat. I traded up for a crestliner VT17 with a 115/80 Merc.

Attachments

• Jackplate.jpg
    Jackplate.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 434
I'm glad you kept the dealer's feet to the fire. So many are in your face until the deal is done and you need a search warrant to find them after. In your case, the boat was clearly not set up correctly in the fist place. It was set up at the convenience of the dealer and not for what was best for the performance of the boat. Brand new from the dealer? You bet they're responsible. If any dealers are reading this, it's so easy to do the right thing from the start. It may cost you a little up front but the good will it creates (read free advertising) is so worth it. As a dealer I wouldn't like my name to appear on an internet forum in any but a positive way.

Latest posts