New Here already need help!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor Coar

Reaction score
Hello all...
I just bought a 14' alum v boat and trailer for 300 and 18 dollars. I thought It would be neat to fix it up. I found this site on Friday and read about 3 pages worth of mod information. WOW I can't wait to get started. Actually my boys and I cleaned and powerwashed it. The trailer is covered in surface rust and needs help however I decided to start by putting in a deck. It seemed like more fun! so I started to frame it today and have done pretty well so far. I do not have a motor - trolling or otherwise and thats ok my sons are 2 and 4 so I am happy to row on the small inland lakes around here in SW Michigan. So here is a question for you all...

I would like to paint inside and out and I would like to keep it as simple as possible. I have pretty good painting ability (Gun Compressor etc) I have read here that there is something called self etching primer. Could you give me simple step by step instructions on what I need to pull this off? also I was wondering... If I use this self etching primer can I then use spray paint over the top of it? Thank you all in advance and it has been nict meeting you. vic - pictures coming later.

Welcome Victor!

Thanks for joining! I especially like it when people mention their family in there first post :beer:

The time you will have with your 2 boys will be priceless! =D>

Member Waco wrote a nice little article about self etching primer. I guess it is used on bare metal? Is yours bare or painted?

Here is the link:
https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3090

i have recently painted my boat. you can see on the mod links, "my 14 ft. starcraft". when i got the boat, the paint was bad so i scuffed it with a soft brillo pad and washed it really good. sanded the inside to cut the flaking paint. you dont have to get to bare metal, but remeber if the paint is already fallen off, it will, so make sure you sand it real good. the self etchng primer, i got at walmart , like 5 bucks a can. i used 2 on my boat. think it was 2 coats of primer. 10 minutes in between. then i found some spray paint, not sure the name, im at work not. but it has a somewhat rough texture that i like. that was 3 coats. look forward to seeing your project!

the excitement builds! I took the boys out this weekend and they loved it.I decided to go with the self etching spray cans Duplicolor. I think we're going with dark blue light blue and off-white since we are using the name "tigershark" (don't laugh its better than popcorn,or mommy daddy eli ilo (pronounced eye-low))So anyway how do you guys feel about painting the bottom of a boat? (exterior) I am worried about it chipping and scratching

Welcome and I really like the nice round figure you paid for your boat. Reminds me of the gift card I got my mother for Christmas, $27.52, just because.

Welcome aboard Vic. :D Where in MI are you from,? I live in Osceola Co. up by Cadillac! Maybe we will bump into eachother some day!