new jet jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking since the inlet to the water pump is in the pumps volute, as the rpm increases, pressure builds and would supply water through the water pump. It's a long shot but it wouldn't take long to rule out.

after looking at my manual, I wonder if the pump was installed incorrectly. the manual notes not to use the white nylon cover that retains the grommet used on a propped lower unit. The manual states using the nylon cover will push the water tube out of position and cause the motor to overheat at idle. Not sure if this has happened but you may want to verify that the water tube is in the correct position.

Loose- I thought that was definitely the problem when I read the manual too, but when I opened it up, everything was fine. The nylon insert was not present and the water tube seems to mate perfectly with the outlet of the water pump housing.

mphelle- I'll double check it when I put the original water pump housing back on.

Ranchero- I've put maybe 5 or 6 hours on it total. I've followed the break in instructions pretty closely, though don't have a tach, so was guessing what half throttle was. It's a pretty fancy fuel injected four stroke. I haven't read anything about not idling a new engine.

Did you ever find a out what the problem was? My new yamaha 60/40 is sounding an alarm if I idle for more than a few minutes. I am wondering if I may have the same problem.

thanks,

Definitely sounds like you have the same problem. Does your tell-tale/tail get hot? Does it cool down when you increase RPMs past about 2000?

My problem actually went away. I'm not sure when or how. I just wasn't ever idling for more than 30 seconds or so. Never was a problem. Ran great. Then a couple weeks ago I tried idling for longer, let it go about 4 or 5 minutes and the tell-tale never got too warm, alarm never sounded. I was really happy. Have tried again since, too, and still good.

Might have been a break-in thing? I probably have 25 or 30 hours on it now. I did change the oil and oil filter at about 10 hours and I filled the oil almost to the max line. When I bought the motor the fill level was close to the min line. Not sure if that had anything to do with it. I put the recommended Yamaha Marine Oil in it.

I have heard the Yamaha jets are close to bulletproof. Looking at purchasing a 40/30 in the future. Hope you guys get your issues resolved!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=344867#p344867 said:
Ranchero50 » 13 Mar 2014, 19:04[/url]"]Sounds like you picked up some junk.

Put a couple zip ties around your control cables and slide a couple 12" lengths of trimmer string in there to clean out the pisser hole when it act up.
This is a good idea, I kept a small hand pump with the needle on the end of it (one like you would use to air up a football)...I would use this to clean the p tube when it would get clogged from time to time....One or two pumps usually would clear all blockages...For me it was usually mud.....Sorry for getting off topic

Latest posts