New Motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper

Reaction score
Trying to decide between a new Nissan 9.8 or a Honda 9.9, any opinions?
Not many used motors in my area.....

I looked at both when I decided on Nissan in 2008 when I brought a new 18hp 4stroke from onlineoutboards.com. Best price around (no sales tax was a big savings) and delivered right to my driveway next to my boat in 3 days. This spring I'm ordering a 9.8hp Nissan (got a few lakes around here with a 10hp limit). This has made fishing so much easier. nothing like hitting the starter and I'm off to the next fishing spot.

Favorite Crappie Lake has a 10hp limit........could actually put a 25hp on boat, but the extra mph isn't an issue yet. I have a 3.3 Merc 2 stroke now & it's a little to small, but a really great running little motor. Electric Start worth the extra money?

po1 said:
I looked at both when I decided on Nissan in 2008 when I brought a new 18hp 4stroke from onlineoutboards.com. Best price around (no sales tax was a big savings) and delivered right to my driveway next to my boat in 3 days. This spring I'm ordering a 9.8hp Nissan (got a few lakes around here with a 10hp limit). This has made fishing so much easier. nothing like hitting the starter and I'm off to the next fishing spot.

I bought my Tohatsu 9.8hp 4stroke electric start from onlineoutboards.com as well.. Here is a tip.. the Tohatsu and Nissan are the EXACT same motor.. save a couple hundred and get the Tohatsu, no complaints!

Anyone have experience with the Honda 9.9? Worth spending the extra $$$ for?

Sniper said:
Anyone have experience with the Honda 9.9? Worth spending the extra $$$ for?

I know several guides with Larger Honda's. They love them, except the parts are more expensive than just about any other outboard. But, they rarely need to work on them.

cyberflexx said:
po1 said:

I bought my Tohatsu 9.8hp 4stroke electric start from onlineoutboards.com as well.. Here is a tip.. the Tohatsu and Nissan are the EXACT same motor.. save a couple hundred and get the Tohatsu, no complaints!

They are selling the Tohatsu 20hp tiller, short shaft electric start for more then the Nissan same model.

Oh wow.. I know my 9.8hp 4stroke SS was a couple hundred cheaper

Electric Start is well worth extra money, it's a nice way to keep the battery charged when you're out on the lake. Having a electric start just makes everything from launching the boat easier, to moving from spot to spot easier and quicker with more time on doing whats important. Fishing and relaxing.

The main complaint I hear about Honda other than price is finding a person to work on them & the price of parts.
I have run a Nissan 2 stroke 18 for 10 years. If the 4 strokes are as good the 2 stroke, the Nissan/ohatsu are a better deal for the money vs. the honda.

I love Nissan/Tohatsu 2 stroke motors, but when they quit selling 2 strokes, I gave up on them. I'm back to an old Evinrude. Yamaha still sells 2 strokes and if I buy a new motor, that's the way I'll go. I just don't think 4 stroke makes any sense in small motors. It means a lot more weight and one of the reasons most of us have small boats is the portability factor. I tried to pick up a 4 stroke Tohatsu 15 horse at a dealership and I almost had a quadruple hernia/heart attack/anurysm. :LOL2:

Latest posts