New Muskie/Pike Setup

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danmyersmn

Reaction score
If you followed my conversation with Bubba in his new rod thread you will notice I have been looking at options for a new rod/reel. Well a few circumstances forced me to buy a setup.

First, the Rod. Last weekend when we were on the way back from fishing we passed a combo building with a pawn shop on one side and a bait & Tackle on the other. So how could we not stop? :)

In the tackle shop I found a rod I couldn't pass up.
Sojourn_Muskie_Casting.image.-familyImage-Single-image.dash.512.384.gif

This is a new model "entry level" Shimano musky rod. Its a heavy, 7', medium-fast graphite rod. I payed $40 for it and that appears to be the going rate for this rod. I had been planning to go for a more expensive rod. When I saw this one I was able to retrieve my Gander Mt. 6' 6" rod from my buddies boat and hold the two side by side and that convinced me I would be happy with it.

I also was able to compare it side by side with my buddies Shimano Compre 7'.

This rod is heavier then the Compre, they are balanced almost identical and this Sojourn is 1/2" longer. It also has a rubber butcap vs. the cork on the Compre. All of these things are items I can live with when I am paying $60 less for a rod. I will use it this weekend but I am confident I will be more then happy with it.

Reel.
So I went to Cabela's bargain cave to see if any boat building items would show up. I didn't plan to buy a reel but as soon as I went over to the reels I saw them. 3 of them!

I picked up Abu Garcia RCN61HC. I played with this reel when I was there last week and I knew I loved this reel. The 3 in the bargain cave where $103, $103, $106. I picked out one of the $103's that I was unable to find any problems with.

37c7f3dd0bd2f3a336ca5d80dfd751f3.jpg

I mounted it on the Shimano and spooled it with 100 Tuff Line XP and a 100lb Fluorocarbon leader.

Now hopefully my bud can get over his H1N1 in time to fish Saturday!

Latest posts