New Rod, But What Reel?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atxjess

Reaction score
I used to fish everyday when I was little with a zebco 33 and a fly rod and recently got back into it. I bought a zebco 33 to go with a emmrod packer rod. But the zebco broke after only a few cast. And after a little research I found out zebco outsourced to china in 2006. The rod is really short and made out of steel but designed to cast as well as a 6ft rod. So my question is how can I get a reel the same quality as a old zebco 33?

Same quality as a zebco 33,thats a tough one.Why not take that zebco back where ya bought it, broke after only a few casts, you say. I'm guessing you are limited to a closed face spinning reel. Have not used one of those in about 40 years. See them all the time at garage sales.
Tim

If that is what you are looking for - get a Made in USA Zebco

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZEBCO-33-SPINCAST-REEL-MADE-IN-USA-GOLD-ORANGE-BANDS-48615-/110896597003?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d1f3c80b#ht_824wt_1139

Already checked garage sales, no dice. But didn't think of ebay that looks like a great idea. Thanks for the help. Hopefully my next post will include pics of a lunker. :lol:

Here's two pics of bass I caught when I was little on the fly rod.

Attachments

• Big fish two.jpg
    Big fish two.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 1,099
  • Big fish one.jpg
    Big fish one.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,099
So it seems a lot of people have had trouble with the new Zebcos and a few others. So I got a few broken old reels from my grandad and was able to fix them. I also bought two reels on ebay and I'm gonna start reconditioning them and reselling them not so much for profit but to make them avalable for anglers wanting vintage quality. I think I have a new hobby. :D

I know that a lot of guys aren't, but I'm a Shimano guy. I have a Sedona Series spinner and a Solstice Spinner. Good reels, no problems and they're both about 3-4 years old. They're both in the $100-$140 range.

I don't have one, but I like the Curado (?) and Crucial (sp) Shimano baitcasters...they're on my list.

Couldn't give you any advice on closed face...haven't used those since I was a kid.

Check out this site:
https://jeffstackleboxblog.blogspot.com/
Jeff sells Emmrods and has a reel called a Qualia MuL 10. He would answer any questions you may have.
HD

Forget Zebco...look at St. Croix (Made in US...or North America :lol: #-o (Mexico :cry: )...or Eagle ,also US made...or maybe a G Loomis (US made owned by Shimano) or a made in China Shimano Cummara paired with a Shimano Sahara :D end of story.
Dan