New To Tin Boats Need help with Stabilization.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the boat my friend has.he built the deck kind if in between the floor and the top.he also has the same type of pedestals as you,it puts the seats at about the height your benches are.

I agree with several posts that the seat are pretty high if you are sitting on them while under power. It's like standing up and finding the stability difference compaire to sitting down.

bassboy1 said:
Ouachita said:
Are you sitting up on that pedestal when you are running the outboard? If so, that is more than likely contributing to your wobble. That is a pretty high center of gravity for that narrow of a boat.
Those are my thoughts exactly.
I had both a 12 foot Grumman, and a 12 foot Sea King, powered by a 4 horse Evinrude. The Grumman was 5 inches wide (at widest point), and the Sea King was about 48, at the absolute wides point. We had a swivel seat mounted straight atop the bench on both of them. Never any of the problems you speak of. My guess is your pedestals are causing trouble.

Concur with everyone about seat height being an issue. Wonder if they make a rail system you could use? Mount the pedestal on a rail to slide it to the side when underway and back to the middle for more comfortable fishin'. bassboy, that sure is a skinny Grumman :lol:

Popeye said:
bassboy1 said:
Ouachita said:
Are you sitting up on that pedestal when you are running the outboard? If so, that is more than likely contributing to your wobble. That is a pretty high center of gravity for that narrow of a boat.
Those are my thoughts exactly.
I had both a 12 foot Grumman, and a 12 foot Sea King, powered by a 4 horse Evinrude. The Grumman was 5 inches wide (at widest point), and the Sea King was about 48, at the absolute wides point. We had a swivel seat mounted straight atop the bench on both of them. Never any of the problems you speak of. My guess is your pedestals are causing trouble.

Concur with everyone about seat height being an issue. Wonder if they make a rail system you could use? Mount the pedestal on a rail to slide it to the side when underway and back to the middle for more comfortable fishin'. bassboy, that sure is a skinny Grumman :lol:
Ya wonder why I couldn't catch any fish from it? I was fighting to stay vertical the whole time, and I couldn't cast, as it would tip me over. I had to stick my lure in the water, and hope the current would carry it to the brushpile. :shock:

Sorry about that. It was 54"

I was gonna say you look skinny in your photos but to fit in a 5" wide boat you need to be a stick figure

Hey guys I took the seat out today and removed the petasools. I also primed the inside. I am painting it grey b/c I don't what to get so hot under the summer sun. I'll post pics when done.