New to TinBoats - Trolling motor question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukkyseven

Reaction score
So I'm sure this will probably be a stupid question to you guys, but it's not to me so I apologize.

I live in MD and most of our fishing lakes are electric only. It kind of stinks, but I'm okay with it. I've been fishing an old 1236 riveted jon for the past 4 years. I have a 55lb Minn Kota on the back of it and it works. My son is just about old enough to go fishing with me and I want to upgrade to a 1548 or 1650 welded boat here this spring.

My question is, will the 55lb trolling motor be enough to push a lot heavier boat through the water? Assuming everything else is equal (like I don't put more gear since I have more space), will I be okay?

I don't need to get anywhere fast. I just don't want it to be that much slower than I'm already going. I'm guestimating that the new boat is going to be 200-300lbs heavier than my current rig. I think (in my uneducated brain) that the bigger issue with speed will be the amount of drag that I'll now be pulling through the water?

Any comments are appreciated. Or if you can point me to a thread where this has already been discussed I'd appreciate that as well. I did look first I promise!

It will not make that much of a difference - BUT you might want to consider adding a 2nd TM

You are fine unless that four letter word arrives - WIND!

I use 3 TM on my 16 ft mod V boat - it is a heavy boat with the OB and all the extras we piled on.

I did not notice much difference in speed before and after I added a lot of weight

Should pull/push the new one ok, I've got a Tracker PT175, with a Terrova 55# on mine and have no problems trolling at +/- 1mph for 4-6 hrs on local lakes. I may use the 60hp to get from one side of the large cove I frequent but may not as well, and haven't noticed any drop in fishing time. Battery maint is the key to getting good service from your TM and battery so your fishing trips are fishing trips instead of discovering new problems. I usually get 3-4 yrs of service from my TM batteries.

it should be fine I use a 30lb minnkota on my 14 ft and it pushes her along great. I have even had 3 grown adults aprox 200 lbs each and batteries gear and it has worked great.

A 55# motor will work fine and like Captian Ahab said, two are always better than one. If you are going to be trolling at all then a bow mount will track much better than a transom mount. Having both motors on your boat will make it safer. If one quits working or gets wrapped up with fishing string you just switch over the the other one.

In my avatar picture on the left is an early picture of my boat. It is rigged with a 55# Minn Kota trolling motor on the transom. I have since upgraded to an 55# Ipilot on the bow. When I fish my local lakes and they are electric only lakes, I rig my boat with only the two trolling motors. I only use the transom mount motor to get in and out of the dock and back on the trailer. The Ipilot takes care of the rest.
I've had my boat out trolling in the wind with 2 people, the bimini top up and the motor has no problem pushing us along.

I also have a 1236 jon boat. Unless you really have your heart set on a bigger boat, the 1236 is just fine for two.

My outfit has two TM's and a depth finder. It fits two grown men and our gear just fine. I fish with 5 rods and two tackle boxes in the boat, my buddy has 2-3 rods and a good sized tackle box. I put my #55 TM on the front (spun the head around) and put a #30 TM on the back. When it's time to pick up and make a longer move I just have my buddy in the back goose (full throttle) the #30 while it is tightened down in the straight position and steer from the front. This works just fine. The rear-mounted TM also helps in a lighter breeze to keep from spinning too much.

I did take some plumbers PEX tubing and run my electric wires through from the battery up to the connections in the bow and stern. I used the vinyl "tape roll" like hanger and riveted in the upper inside gunnel so the wires are all nice-n-neat and out of the way.

The biggest advantage of having the 1236 is that I literally pick it up and put it in the back of the pick-up with a flag hanging off the bow that sticks out the back. There's no need for a trailer and I can get into many more places where trailered boats can go!!

Good luck!!

Attachments

• JT12 - 1236 elec.JPG
    JT12 - 1236 elec.JPG
    858.6 KB · Views: 667
  • JT12 - 1236 elec2.JPG
    JT12 - 1236 elec2.JPG
    771.8 KB · Views: 667
  • JT12 - 1236 elec3.JPG
    JT12 - 1236 elec3.JPG
    961.2 KB · Views: 667
can you turn a hand operated motorguide transom mount to a bow mount by turning the control box & handle around? I would
appreciate any info. anyone may have, thanks. fred snyder

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=343559#p343559 said:
fred snyder » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:22 pm[/url]"]can you turn a hand operated motorguide transom mount to a bow mount by turning the control box & handle around? I would
appreciate any info. anyone may have, thanks. fred snyder

Yes - loosen the retaining screw and spin it

Yes, just loosen the one screw and spin the head. There is enough wire to pop the head off a little and have a look down the shaft so you can make sure you spin it I the direction that leaves a little slack in the wires. It's very simple.

Latest posts