New trolling motor.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're looking for something with that much power... go with MotorGuide. I've talked to about 10 locals who used Minnkota, then switched to Motorguide and won't go back... I'm one of them. I've got the 71# Motorguide and that thing is a beast...

i was minn kota fan too until I put the bigger ones side by side... those motor guides never give up - and I was a die hard minn kota fan. I talked to alot of people before I made my decision - and the people I talked to are guys who have been guides for more than 20 years -and I made sure they weren't sponsored by either one

I haven't personally used a Fortrex, but I played around with one at the boat show in January, and I have to say, it is downright awesome. It is the ideal bass boat motor.

I can't be sold on Motorguides. While I can't find the numbers online, I am 99% certain the increased speed is due to a different prop pitch.

I would also place a great deal of money on the argument that the only reason Motorguide is still in business is because they are placed on all the boats Brunswick (the company that owns Motorguide, Mercury Outboards, Tracker Boats, Lund boats, Trophy Boats, Bayliner Boats, Boston Whaler, Lowe, Triton, Sea Ray, Crestliner, and many of other companies) sells. The wholesale sales of trolling motors to these companies to put on Factory Prerigged boats is enough to keep the company profitable. Sales to private parties make up a rather small percentage of Motorguides sales. Also, this is why you rarely see Motorguide come out with a feature before it's competition, Minn Kota, does. Historically speaking, in an economy based upon capitalism, a company has to keep marketing new technology to stay competitive. Motorguide hasn't beaten MK to new technology in years, simply because they haven't needed to, as they have a steady demand on factory prerigged boats.

I personally can't put much faith in a company that doesn't constantly seek to improve, to keep the very livelihood of the company, as they really have little incentive to maintain an excellent product.

Lastly, if you scour fishing sites, and I am talking lots of them, and much bigger sites than this one, you will find that people tend to really voice complaints when an expensive piece of equipment dies for no apparent reason. My personal observations have determined that there is a much higher number of Motorguide complaints, and numerous people wanting to go from a Motorguide to a Minn Kota, whereas few want to go the other way. Unless someone can point out a reason that someone with a failed Minn Kota is more likely to refrain from voicing a complaint than one with a failed Motorguide, the numbers don't lie.

Just my mere 5 cents worth (Inflation, you know). :roll:

Well you guys all brought up good points. I have also a Minn Kota MK220 onboard charger. I need something with the 80lb thrust. I am really into the Fortrex for the hydraulic lift and the ease of taking it off for winter storage.