Where are you purchasing your new Trolling Motors?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Man

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
In the market for a "new" model Minn Kota Terrova model 1358380. 24V, 80#, 60", no transducer.

Since it is a new model, pricing is $1999 at all vendors. No sales anywhere.

Since pricing is the same everywhere, I did find a site, Trollingmotors.net that includes free shipping an no tax. That is a savings of approx. $200 over purchasing directly from Minn Kota.

However, I am wondering if a warranty issue were to arise, would it have been better to have purchased directly from manufacturer vs a third party vendor?

Also, does anyone here have the "new" model? Experiences with it?
Have you mounted a transducer to it? These all in transducers are pretty long.

Thanks!

My 36v Ulterra was over $3k. I chose to buy from my local dealer/marina who I am on a first name basis with. They were slightly better than Johnson Outdoors MSRP and that was good enough for me. I didn't require any warranty work within the 1 year but if I had I knew they would take care of me. Plus they gave me a great deal on the rest of the stuff I needed to perform the install.

I had no local MK or MG dealers. Prices were the same at multiple venders with free shipping. I went with Walmart.com so if there was an initial problem, I could return it locally for refund. Shipping to a service center is costly, so unless a major problem it will be fix it myself.

Tough call, if you never have an issue then best deal, but if an issue arrises, then what or who ?? I don't mind spending extra for local as long as they offer repair/ replacement service. Why not wait until spring when boating season gets started, might be better sales/ pricing?

With the price of these things these days I'd go through a dealer I trust. My dealer went through everything on the garmin unit I purchased. Did an initial setup and link with my chart plotter and went out on the water with me to make sure all the functions were working as intended.

I bought my TERROVA online. Personally, I’d wait unit after Christmas to buy anything. Some businesses might be motivated to move stock before year end.

So what’s so new about the “new“ TERROVA aside from the price?

By the way, it‘s darn spell checker that insists on capitalizing TERROVA.

I bought my TERROVA online. Personally, I’d wait unit after Christmas to buy anything. Some businesses might be motivated to move stock before year end.

That's what I thought, too. 10 days before Christmas doesn't seem like a good time to look for boat accessories like TMs and electronics.

If the decision is hinging on the exact model TERROVA and that model is the latest/greatest, one might be looking in vain for a "deal." Middle of the winter would be a good time to look for prior versions of that model as they need to be sold to make way for the latest/greatest.

got my 12v Terrova from Trolling Motors.com. No issues. The warranty is covered through MinnKota so should be no worry. The "new" Terrovas have brushless motors.

I'll be waiting until after the holidays and see what I can find then. I'll also check with a local dealer for pricing and availability.

The heading sensor (white puck) has been replaced with a built in sensor, as well a few other items, such as:

• NEW Enhanced GPS Suite Including Drift Modeto allow anglers to spend more time fishing and less time on boat control
    • Drift Mode: combats current and wind by automatically adjusting speed and direction to keep the boat on a true drift. Drift Mode acts as a gps drift sock eliminating the need for cumbersome ropes or shallow water anchor paddles
    • Improved Follow-the-Contour functionality: allows for better LakeMaster and CoastMaster integration to stay on the desired course.
    • Dodge Mode: allows anglers to quickly leave auto navigation mode to manually steer through waves and around structures and then resume navigating without resetting their route.

Just called my local MK dealer (in my hometown!)......same price as everyone else $1999.99....but on sale through 12/25.....sale is...TAX included!!!! That's $175 in my area!!!

I didn't consider them, as they are usually much higher priced on fishing tackle.....I just assumed their parts and accessories were just as high. My bad.....very happy it will be a local purchase!!!!

What I learned, again,....never assume and never hurts to call and ask!

Just called my local MK dealer (in my hometown!)......same price as everyone else $1999.99....but on sale through 12/25.....sale is...TAX included!!!! That's $175 in my area!!!

I didn't consider them, as they are usually much higher priced on fishing tackle.....I just assumed their parts and accessories were just as high. My bad.....very happy it will be a local purchase!!!!

What I learned, again,....never assume and never hurts to call and ask!
So is the sale price (final cost) $1,825? That’s something off and you support local business.

I'll be waiting until after the holidays and see what I can find then. I'll also check with a local dealer for pricing and availability.

The heading sensor (white puck) has been replaced with a built in sensor, as well a few other items, such as:

• NEW Enhanced GPS Suite Including Drift Modeto allow anglers to spend more time fishing and less time on boat control
    • Drift Mode: combats current and wind by automatically adjusting speed and direction to keep the boat on a true drift. Drift Mode acts as a gps drift sock eliminating the need for cumbersome ropes or shallow water anchor paddles
    • Improved Follow-the-Contour functionality: allows for better LakeMaster and CoastMaster integration to stay on the desired course.
    • Dodge Mode: allows anglers to quickly leave auto navigation mode to manually steer through waves and around structures and then resume navigating without resetting their route.

So aside from the puck, the added features should be a firmware patch to the existing unfinished firmware.

The follow the contour feature was pretty worthless so any added functionality would be a plus. Drift mode might come in handy but, it doesn’t sound that different from advanced autopilot with cruse control turned on. I’d have to see how the dodge mode is implemented before making a comment.

I don’t know but, it be interesting to see if MK actually adds these features to the existing trorovas that are out there. That business has a nickel and dime the customer to death mentality. It would a pleasant change to see them give something back to their customers.

I don’t think I’ll run out and buy a new TM because of these updates but, at least we know that they are still working on new ideas.

It does sound like they improved the firmware. I'd be surprised if the older units could be updated without a board change. Very unlikely they used a plugable EEPROM or have an open connector to do a firmware update. I know my MG's do not.

I'm not purchasing because of the new features....I'm upgrading the paltry 12V/42# TM that BPS stuck on there! It just happens that the new version has just come out as I'm preparing to purchase. Last years model in only about $300 less with discounts. For $300, I'll go newer model. I don't want to drill additional holes by changing brands, ex. MG, so I'll stick with MK. It's a step up from the basic Power Drive model that came with the boat. Terrova is good enough for me.

Last edited: