Newbie neeeds help identifying 14' jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.C.

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am brand new to this site however I have been browing the forum for several weeks wishing for a boat. Then out of the blue a friend offered to sell me his 14' jon boat with a 6hp evinrude outboard, $400. It's ugly but it floats and runs which is fine because I want to perform some mods to it like all of you have been doing.

I went to the DMV this morning to register and everything was fine however it brought up a question. When they did the registration I was told it was a 1973 jon boat, that's it! There was not a clear answer on the manufacturer so I thought I would reach out and see if anyone recognized it. The boat has been painted many times and I am unable to find a manufacturer name or a maximum capacity plate.

Here's the specs, it's 13'10" (14') and the inside bottom of the boat measures at 43". It has no benches in the boat, open hull, however it does have a small platform on the front. The gunnel is pretty wide (see picture) although I didn't measure I would say it is around 6' wide. Any help would be appreciated and any suggestions on seat and floor mounting as well.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• jonboat1.JPG
    jonboat1.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 841
  • jonboat2.JPG
    jonboat2.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 841
I cant help you with the ID but thats a heck of a rig. I love all the open space. That would be a fun one to mod. I think you stole that thing!! The motor alone would cost that much around here.

Now THAT'S a jon boat...here in the heart of dixie you are required to have limbs, firewood and a cinder block anchor to qualify. It looks a lot like mine when its not being used. Most people load their boat to go fishing...I have to unload mine! Seriously, thats a great looking boat...looks sturdy as h3ll...almost military.

Maybe its just the perspective from your picture, but it looks like you have an awfully short tongue on your trailer. The bow of the boat looks really close to the back of the truck. Be careful backing up. If you turn too sharply, you're gonna get dimples in your tailgate.

Good looking boat,though. A steal at $400.

Thanks for these replies I just wish i could figure out who it was made by as I have yet to see another one like it.

I did clean it out real well, got rid of all the junk (selling the duck decoys) used the wood in my fire pit and actually found the anchor (thank goodness cause now it can use the cinder block for the tongue). It actually was a duck huntin boat that was used in Mobile Bay but I'm going to use it for me and the family to go out in and do some fishin in some of the small waters here in South Alabama. Yep very short tongue and I am really having to watch myself as I am not real good at backing a trailer, yet!

My mods haven't been started yet since I had to put new tires, a trailer jack and wiring for the trailer and then the motor had to have a new water pump. But I can atleast say that I am learning to do all this myself, with everyone's help on this site of course. My plans so far are to just floor it and put in a couple of pedestal seats for me and my wife and then cust out a spot for two small coolers and let my two boys sit on those (they are still small). To ready to go out to do much more then I will try to do some more mods this fall/winter.

there are a coulple Quachita's on here that look just like it. If there is a Hull ID # you should be able to figure out the manufacturer. First few letters will help figure out the make.

Ok did some checking around and it does appear to be a 1973 Ouachita, thanks!! Now here are the big questions, anyone know how to get the capacity and horse power rating for this boat? I can use the USCG method to calculate the people/weight but is it the width of the inside of the boat or the outside time the length then divided by 15? What would be a safe size motor? I googled and have seen anywhere from the 6hp that I have on mine to as high as a 25hp, any thoughts? Or if there is anyone with a 14' and you still have your plate could you send me the info?

Thanks again to everyone!!!