Newbie pondering tinboat and saltwater...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymoussy

Reaction score
Total newbie and new forum member, I am considering an aluminum boat for saltwater, specifically (trailering into) inlets and bays around Cape Cod, quiet stuff in appropriate weather.

I am reading and reading about saltwater corrosion and it makes me wonder if it is worth the effort:
- shop for a used boat with little existing damage
- certainly will be very diligent about washing after each outing
- accept the fact that, eventually salt will win...
- maybe consider this first boat as a teaching tool, until GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) strikes?

Thoughts, reassurance, etc?

I will look again in that general direction/time, thanks.

I did see "Newbie with salty question" and fellow forum poster and his extensive corrosion discovered on a used boat purchase...

Per the above post's dramatic pictures, the answer would be no?

I live on MV, use my tin in salt exclusively and have not had too many corrosion problems. Just finished total redo and did find some corrosion but that is to be expected on a 96' that has lived its life in the salt. I trailer it and rinse after use. I would not worry about the tin in the salt, trailer is another story. Expect trailer to rust to bits no matter what you do.

Don't worry about your boat but be sure that the anode on the motor is good.

Regards, Keith

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=362053#p362053 said:
Keith1 » 02 Aug 2014, 23:28[/url]"]Don't worry about your boat but be sure that the anode on the motor is good.

Regards, Keith

Thanks, I was aware of that, but looking into it, I am learning a few things, leading to more questions - isn't it always?

I was not aware that there were also aluminum anodes.
Some motors seem to have several anode locations.

Once out of the water, protection stops, correct?
Does the protection to the motor extend to the hull?

The galvanic corrosion isn't an issue when the boat is out of the water. Pretty sure anode only protects the motor. Some people attach an anode to the transom that will help protect the hull.

Your hull will be OK so long as you do not have any dissimilar metals involved - steel etc. is a big NO NO - will eat it away in no time

SS screws and such have never caused me any problems in FW or SW - but like what was posted above SW likes to attack those trailers - a good rinse and use of a product like Salt Away will really help

Latest posts