Newbie with 8hp Evinrude problems

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOE

Reaction score
I've been reading the forum for a few weeks and let me say this place is filled with great info and ideas.

I have a 8hp envinrude. Not sure what year but I would guess it was made around 1990 from pics I have seen. Motor runs great but last weekend it quit shifting. It will go in reverse and neutral with no problems. When I shift it into forward, the shifter moves but it does not go in gear. My brother was using the boat when it happened and he said it just quit shifting.

Has anyone had a similar problem or know what might be the cause? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to put it in a shop. I've never worked on an outboard, but I'm pretty sure I could do whatever is needed with a little guidance.

Thanks in advance,

MOE

Drain the lower unit oil to see if there's any metal in it.Make sure you pull the straight slot plugs.The phillips is the shifter arm & you don't want to pull that.
Usually a motor just don't quite shifting. [-X

crazymanme2 said:
Usually a motor just don't quite shifting. [-X

Kinda figured that but didn't want to jump to conclusions. I wasn't in the boat when it happened and was worried that it was shifted at high rpms. I'll drain the oil this weekend when I go to the camp. What would my next step be if I do or don't find metal? Remove lower unit and inspect parts?

Thanks

Update: I drained the oil in the lower unit and found some metal on the magnet. Oil was real dark (almost black) and kinda smelled burnt. Dropped lower unit and removed prop, shaft, and gears. One of the drive balls is broke and stuck in place. There is some scratches in the prop shaft around the broken ball drive.

Is this enough damage to justify replacing the prop shaft?

Latest posts