Nissan lower end oil change

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobberboy

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Over the weekend I attempted to change the oil in the lower end of my Nissan 9.8 to prep it for winter. I bought the oil and pump, drained the lower end but when I tried to connect the pump to the motor, the thread sizes weren't the same. I guess I (wrongly) assumed the thread sizes would have been standardized so when I bought the pump never thought there would be a problem. I bought a Quicksilver pump and oil. It listed many motors on the back - Merc's, OMC's, Yamaha, Suzuki and a couple of others but not specifically Nissan. I looked online a little yesterday to find a specific pump for Nissan with no luck. I'm going to look for a fitting that might make the connection between the pump and motor but would like to get the right thing. Anybody out there have any sources where I can find the right pump? I've been advised not to leave the lower end empty for the winter so I'd like to get it done before the weather gets any colder.

I recall seeing a pump adapter for Johnson to Nissan.
It was $5-6 at Mills Fleet Farm. I would think a dealer or
Cabelas would carry one.

If in a pinch, just use the quart size squeeze bottle.
I just did mine and it wasn't too messy. Just put an oil pan underneath.
Cut the nipple to fit inside your fill hole
and squeeze. When it flows out the vent.
Place your index finger over the vent hole
and replace the fill plug.

There's really no reason to use any of that fancy stuff. Cut the nipple so it goes into the hole, jam it in and squeeze until it comes out of the vent hole. Then put your finger on the vent hole and close the fill hole, then close the vent hole. It really isn't very messy. It's so easy even I can do it. :mrgreen:

Latest posts