no more production on 2 stroke yamahas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazymanme2

Reaction score
I agree fully.4 strokes are like lead anchors.I have a 1956 40 hp Merc that weighs 118# & that's with electric start & a charging system.

That's the main reason I bought my 25-hp, 2-stroke Yamaha a few months ago. My 2-stroke weighs 105 pounds; a 4-stroke 25-hp Yamaha weighs 170 pounds. For the life of me I couldn't see bolting something on the transom that weighs 52 pounds more than my entire boat does and pay a lot more money for it. Maybe the 4-strokes will hold up over time but I know that my old 1988 30-hp Evinrude was on the lake almost every weekend for 13 years and never saw the inside of a shop once. In time I'm sure that 4-strokes will be mandated by the Feds but until then I'll stick with my 2-stroke.

This is a shame... :( I think that the save the earth efforts could be better used on things that actually have a proven negative impact on the environment rather that something that could possibly impact it. The restrictions on 2 stroke engines is bit overkill. I'm glad they haven't taken root to broadly down here.

real shame, but to be honest mercury and brp have a better 2 stroke anyhow, at least for the bigger engines. i don't know much about the smaller yamaha 2 strokes. its just another good thing the emissions natzis are killing off. the 2 stroke dirt bike is about to die as well, this is the last production year for the yz125 and 250 and yamaha was the last to keep the 2 smokes around in the bikes. in my opinion the 2 strokes are betterr design all around. common sense would tell you that the engine with less moving parts and less maintenance, as well as a superior power to weight/displacement ratio would be the better unit, not to mention they are way cheaper. until i see a 40 year old 4 stroke that the valve train hasn't ate itself yet, i don't believe for one second 4 strokes are more reliable. not to mention 4 stroke outboards don't even have hydraulic lifters, so valve adjustment is much more important then in your car, yet no one ever does it.

heavy-chevy said:
until i see a 40 year old 4 stroke that the valve train hasn't ate itself yet, i don't believe for one second 4 strokes are more reliable. .

I am a fan of 2 strokes and am disappointed that I can't buy a new Banshee anymore, but if you want reliable four strokes that have stood up to the test of time just look at how many old Honda motorcycles are still around. Most of them old CBs are still running around with the stock bore 30+ years later. yes there is a little valve lash maintenance but they are very forgiving. By the way I do have a couple old suzuki 2 stroke street bikes but the constant tinkering to keep them running makes me wish I would have kept my 72 CB

Every dirtbike and outboard motor we've ever owned has been 2-stroke. I understand the basis behind eliminating the mixers, but it sure is hard to see them at a stop loss.

Our old Yamaha dirtbikes, and our old Johnson outboards still run strong. I have no experience with 4-strokes, but I sure hope they can withstand the test of time just as well.

We are stuck with big fat four strokes here but 2 strokes are available dang near everywhere outside our borders. Mercury and Yamaha haven't stopped producing 2 strokes, they just don't sell them here. Check out points south, east and west. Europe, Mexico south, Australia, Asia all have 2 strokes.
https://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/products/marine-outboard/all
https://www.mercurymarine.com.au/outboards.aspx
https://www.mercurymarinelatinamerica.com/mercury.htm
https://www.mercurymarine.com.au/outboards/sea-pro/25-hp-sea-pro.aspx

Are modern 2 strokes as quiet as the 4s? That is one complaint I have about my older 18h merc is that it's fricken loud! That and the fuel consumption. I use much less gas on my Mercury 50 EFI on the pontoon boat than I do in the 18 on the jon. If I could find a gas sipping quiet 2 stroke I'll do it, but I think that the weight difference is worth the noise level and the fuel economy. Reliability should not be in question IMO. Not saying that 2 strokes are unreliable, but 4 stroke motors in general have a good rep. Lower unit technology hasn't changed, has it? So that should be fine. Look how long your lawnmower has been running for. Heck, if briggs made a bigger outboard I'd buy it just hoping that it was as reliable as my mower!

Latest posts