oars?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Okay I have a 14' aluminum v-hull boat. I still need to get oars but I am not sure what would be the correct size? I only need these so I have them on the boat just in case of motor failure.

Any input would be great!!

fishnfever

P.S. I will post pictures of my boat soon!!!

I would go with these in the 48" long shaft.

https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_67088?cmCat=CROSSSELL&cmid=PP_P2_2

I had a 14' alumacraft and had one of these oars and it worked good. I liked it because it was light and did not take up to much room plus they are cheap.

Those look good! Plus they have the little T handle wich you could use to hook a rope or pull the boat up to a cleat on the dock. I have this completely useless tiny one....I dont know what i was thinking! :D

yea oars are always a good thing to have on the boat

especially if you arent sure if your battery isnt any good anymore and ur trolling motor dies after an hour and there is a fierce wind....now im not saying it is fun to row for an hour in these conditions, but there is a little motivation when there are gators and your big brother making fun of you, u just get pumped

BRYCE said:
I would go with these in the 48" long shaft.

https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_67088?cmCat=CROSSSELL&cmid=PP_P2_2

I had a 14' alumacraft and had one of these oars and it worked good. I liked it because it was light and did not take up to much room plus they are cheap.
Guys, these are paddles. Oars are the things that go into oarlocks, and you sit backwards, and use two at once.
We are about to get a set for our 12 footer, to use in no mechanical propulsion lakes up in NC where we have access to a free vacation house. We have seen some all aluminum oars, and are looking into them.

I should have up-dated my results on this topic. I did get a set of oars and locks a few weeks ago. The marina set me up with a set of 6' oars and they work out well. I was using a set of paddles from my buddy's canoe. They were fine with two people but I knew they would never work out if I was by my self in a jam.

fishnfever

6 feet ? those oars are kinda short...that is going to be a lot of rowing...
Bass Pro sells a very economical oar ... and they suggested 7 footers...
believe me they do make a difference ...

I copied this from various websites and it is how i got the PROPER oars for my 12' 54"beam tinny
my oars are 7.5 feet long and they work really well, you can get going pretty good. i'm glad i got the right ones, it makes life waaaay easier. its bad enough to break down, but try getting back with 1 paddle from a canoe, i wish you luck...lol...

the standard way to calculate proper oar size depends on the span between the oarlocks, rather than length. here's how it goes:
measure the distance between the oarlocks. divide by 2, then add 2 inches. take this number, multply by 25, divide by 7, and that's your approximate answer in inches.

for example, if a boat is 48 inches between the oarlocks, then the proper size is: 48/2=24+2=26. 26x25=650/7= approx. 93. That's 7 feet, 9 inches. thus, either 7-1/2 or 8 foot oars should work well.

performance rowers with a rowing shell may do it differently, but this formula works well for most rowing craft.

Alumacraft reccommends a 7.5 to 8 foot oar for my 14.5 ft boat which has a 68 inch beam. Another formular is one half the beam times three plus 6 inches. Both seem to work fine.

As for the distance between hand grips...
Depend on the person.. Myself I like to leave a space about a width of my fist..
Some preferred the ends of the grips slightly overlapped about a inch, I don't like it because of pinch zone....

i hope it helps??

Latest posts