Oilmix or not?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis1022

Reaction score
This is embarrising question? I have 25 HP OB Evinrude, do I have to mix oil with the fuel or not? I never had a this size OB before and my other OB motors was 5.5 Johnson and a 10 Johnson. That was back in the 80's, sold them, and now I have this 1970's OB so I'm not sure about mixing or not. The person I bought it from won't return my emails or phone calls. So any help would be greatful!
I have almost finished my 14' 1971 Grumman, I'll have pictures later when the weather corporates!
Thanks
Dennis

If it does not have a dedicated oil tank and it is not a 4 stroke, you must mix 2 cycle oil in with your gas. Being that it is a 70's model, it is not a 4 stroke and several years before the engines with oil tanks.

Usually the mix is 50:1 but some of them are 100:1.

I really Thank You for your help! I found some numbers on the motor 25102s, so I guess this will tell me manual I should buy! I have another question for you! The tilting the motor up out of the water, it seems to be locked in place! I seen a lever with unlock & locked in front under the handle but the part that is attached to with a spring dosen't move! I removed the pin which had it the tilting area or trim.
Thnak You
Dennis

That pin needs to be in there for proper trim angle.

It sounds like something is either frozen up or broken in your lock mechanism.

Thanks for all the information you have given me!
I hope I got the file from Photo Bucket. https://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss234/Dennis102298/Evinrude25HPOB-Copy.jpg
Dennis

Dennis1022 said:
I really Thank You for your help! I found some numbers on the motor 25102s, so I guess this will tell me manual I should buy! I have another question for you! The tilting the motor up out of the water, it seems to be locked in place! I seen a lever with unlock & locked in front under the handle but the part that is attached to with a spring dosen't move! I removed the pin which had it the tilting area or trim.
Thnak You
Dennis
I have the same problem on my '75 40 horse (same mechanism as yours). For whatever reason, mine only sometimes works. Why that is, I don't know, as it is all mechanical, so one would thing when the linkage bends, it would stay bent, and not self reshaped. Anyway, if the little lever on the front of the mount (by the clamp screws), doesn't release the motor, you need to reach under the mount and by hand push up on the little clip that goes around the pin. That will release it. Other option is to slide the pin out every time you tilt it up.

That looks to be the same mechanism that is on my 18.

If the thin metal tab that you push on to unlock or the wire that serves as the linkage between that tab and the locking fingers get bent, it will not release. I had to bend both the thumb tab and put a kink in the wire to adjust everything so that it worked reliably every time. That mechanism just bends, stretches and binds over time.

Of course, now my wire is broken from placing a block of wood between the l/u and transom to serve as a motor chock so I have to do it the old fashioned way and lift the locking fingers (claw, whatever you want to call it) by hand.

I am not crazy about that because I like to run my motor unlocked so that it will kick up if it hits an obstruction. With the linkage broken, it is locked on the pin.

Thanks I have already removed the pin and it still won't release to tilt up! If I can't get it to work I'll take it to a boat shop in the next town. I'll check to see if it is bent anywhere. So thank you for the info anyway!
Dennis

You must be talking about a different pin than I am. The pin I am talking about is what the motor locks on. It also is what you adjust for trim.

If that is the pin that you are talking about and the motor still won't raise, you have an issue where the motor hinges, more than likely.

IMG]https://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss234/Dennis102298/Evinrude25HPOB-Copy-1.jpg[/IMG]
Here is the motor and the bracket with the spring. I took the long pin out to adjust the motor on the stern. But now I can't unlock the motor from the position it is in. I pulled up, wiggled and even #*$**#!) it couple of times. I went into the house and tould my wife I'm going to sell this boat. She said just calm down and relax, she said I worked to hard on this boat.
As for the other thing, oil. Where can I buy this ( TWC-3 for 2 stroke engines ), is it available at Wally World or can get it at AutoZone?
Thanks all of you!

if it locks on the pin and won't release the pin might be bent.. mine works fine , don't have any issues with it at all..

and I mix 1/2 qt of 2 stroke oil to 6 gallons of gas.

I like to Thank the following members( Bassboy1-Lckstckn2smknbrls-Macgyver-Quackstackr-Shizzy77 ) And any other members that helps before this reply or after.
I will check all the things that was suggested to me!
Thank you all
Dennis

I agree with your wife. take a step back, take a deep breath and look at it. its a very simple mechanism. thats what I did when I was having issues with mine.

In actuality its two mechanism. one is the lock to keep the motor down when you are in reverse or released for when yo uare in forward. the other is the pin mechanism that controls where it sits for trim purposes.

here is how mine works.

#1 you put the lever on the motor in to the "unlock" spot.

#2 lift up slightly on the motor to take pressure off the trim pin.

#3 adjust the trim pin and lower motor back down.

Latest posts