Old Jon boat - 14' - 1970

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maximus34

Reaction score
So I bought this boat/trailer a few months ago and have been working on it ever since. The boat was so old, that the game and fishing section of Virginia gave it a date of 1970 (it could be older than this). It is aluminum. Here are some pictures of the 1st night I bought it.
IMAG0434.jpg
IMAG0435.jpg
IMAG0436.jpg
IMAG0437.jpg
IMAG0439.jpg

Sanding this boat down was a chore! Instead of being an intelligent person and buying the large wire scuff pad, I decided to go with about a 2-3'' head. Afer days of Sanding (inside and out) I have finally got everything done. I then removed the middle bench, popriveted the holes (with 5200M Seal), and allowed it to cure for 7 days. I did a water test on them and everything worked out great.
IMAG0441.jpg
IMAG0444.jpg
IMAG0445.jpg
IMAG0456.jpg
IMAG0457.jpg
IMAG0458.jpg
IMAG0460.jpg
IMAG0461.jpg
IMAG0462.jpg

I literally found myself just standing in my garage... staring at my boat! No wonder this process takes so long! I have to keep telling myself to work without day dreaming about getting her in the water! My plans are to use steelflex for the bottom (Black - ordered it today), a red coat for the top after (outside and inside). I went and bought the primer (self-etching primer) and candy apple red paint from Lowes today. I also bought their grey outdoor carpet. It is extremely nice and exactly what I was looking for. It was only $75.00 for 16'! I grabbed some contact cement and plan on carpeting some time this week.
IMAG0463.jpg
IMAG0468.jpg
IMAG0474.jpg
IMAG0477.jpg

As far as weight is concerned, this is not a big deep boat, so I must be very aware of what I put into the boat. So, naturally, I decided to cover the whole boat with wood and storage. This is what I have decided to do. I am going to make all parts removable. If I find myself A) to heavy for the water or B) wanting to take others out in the boat I can easily remove some of the wood and make weight room for others.

Secondly, I and trying to keep all the weight in the middle or upfront. I understand that because my boat isn't very wide, I need to keep the center of gravity as low as possible. I will by putting two swivel seats in the boat. The first one will be back by the motor with a 6" lift and the front seat will be in attatched to the bottom in the front deck area. This will give me the ability to control the trolling motor with the extended handle, access storage, and be comfy while I am fishing. I will post more pictures later to show exactly what I will be doing. For now, I have some picturs of my framing, and sealing of the wood.
IMAG0478.jpg
IMAG0479.jpg
IMAG0480.jpg
IMAG0481.jpg
IMAG0490.jpg
IMAG0491.jpg

sixgun86 said:
:WELCOME: to Tinboats.

What are your plans for the boat?

I am going to turn it into a small 2 man fishing boat it will be Red and black, fish finder, hand trolling motor, and two seats. There will be a 7hp outboard on the back. It will have three dry storage areas. Everything will be covered in grey outdoor carpet from Lowes. Hopefully everything works out!

I primed the boat with some self-etching primer. I put two good coats on the places that will be exposed. I chose a red paint to finish with. Hopefully, I will get to this tomorrow.
IMAG0497.jpg
IMAG0500.jpg
IMAG0502.jpg
IMAG0504.jpg

After paiting on the primer I put the first coat of Paint (safety red) on this afternoon. Tomorrow I will put the second coat on and then I should be ready for the steelflex on the bottom (black). Looking foward to getting it done. During my wait for the steelflex, I plan on carpeting my wood pieces. More pics to come!
IMAG0508.jpg
IMAG0510.jpg
IMAG0511.jpg
IMAG0512.jpg

After putting a second coat of paint on it, I carpeted all the pieces and placed them in the boat for a ruff fit. The mistake I made was that I didn't account for the carpet when I cut the wood pieces. It worked out, but I had to recut the lids to my dry storage to make them properly fit. Here are some pictures of the process.
IMAG0514.jpg
IMAG0517.jpg
IMAG0519.jpg
IMAG0520.jpg
IMAG0523.jpg
IMAG0525.jpg
IMAG0528.jpg
IMAG0529.jpg
IMAG0530.jpg
IMAG0532.jpg
IMAG0533.jpg
IMAG0536.jpg

So I got the steelflex on. It was fun putting it on! I went ahead and bought the super slick. I know my boat is not worth it, but I wanted to just get it over with in one layer, rather than the doing it twice. I think it turned out nicely. It says it's supposed to cure in four days. During that time, I am getting all the wiring ready for the lights, fish finder, and bilge pump. I can't wait to get it done!
IMAG0538.jpg
IMAG0539.jpg
IMAG0541.jpg
IMAG0542.jpg
IMAG0543.jpg
IMAG0544.jpg
IMAG0545.jpg

Well... I finished it. I have a trolling motor, fish finder, marine battery, and 3 LED lights up front, a storage compartment in the middle, and a control panel and a marine battery in the back. I am getting my motor fixed up, but I went ahead and did a full water test on it this weekend. I (220 lbs) and my brother in law (240 lbs) floated great. The trolling motor worked great with us as well. I didn't get to do any fishing (still need to by life jackets and license and a few misc. tasks), but I am looking foward to it!

I just want to give a shout out to this site! Without tinboats.net, I would have been able to do anything of this. Thanks to you all!
IMAG0563.jpg
IMAG0562.jpg
IMAG0561.jpg
IMAG0560.jpg
IMAG0559.jpg
IMAG0558.jpg
IMAG0554.jpg
IMAG0555.jpg
IMAG0557.jpg
IMAG0553.jpg

So I took it out on the water today and everything went great. The trolling motor was MORE than enough power to pull me around the lake. I caught some small blue gill, but that's about it. I did witness, however, a man fishing from the bank pull in a 5.2 Large mouth bass! I was a nice catch.

Considering the over all review of the boat rennovation process I have the following to say:
1. I am glad I didn't build a casting deck. The boat is WAY to narrow for that.
2. I am glad I took a trip without placing the seats in it because now I know what will me most comfortable AND I am changing the seat placement which will save me $$$$.
3. I know that I definitely need decent anchors to hold my position.
4. I should have cut my wood pieces with my carpet width in mind. I had to adjust 1/4'' and 1/2" for lids.
5. I wish I would have just painted everything with steel flex, but it still works out fine.
6. Make sure all your valuables have floating devices attatched. As I was steping into the boat, I dropped my keys and shades into the water. Thankfully it was on a clear lake and only 6ft deep at the boat dock. So, I went swimming!
7. I should have planned for a bigger budget. IF YOU ARE PLANNING A TIN RENNOVATION, PLAN ON SPENDING SOME EXTRA $$$. There were SO many small things that I plan for. From the wiring, to the cutting, to the carpeting, to the trailer... I probably have invested anywhere from $1500-$2000.00 total. I will say that I love my rig and I learned a lot through this process.

Good luck to everyone in their rennovations!

That's sharp looking man. Very nice.
I checked out the steel flex you used, how much did that run ya?
I think im going to do what you did on the front of your boat.
its actually a blessing you didn't paint the inside of the boat with black steel flex it would be too hot.
Think roofing in July hot. Anyway very nice work.
Where did you put the lights? Im not seeing those

indiana fish said:
That's sharp looking man. Very nice.
I checked out the steel flex you used, how much did that run ya?
I think im going to do what you did on the front of your boat.
its actually a blessing you didn't paint the inside of the boat with black steel flex it would be too hot.
Think roofing in July hot. Anyway very nice work.
Where did you put the lights? Im not seeing those

Thanks! The steelflex cost me about $60.00 including shipping... but it was worth it. I would actually like to buy some more and use it on my trailer.

I placed a front bow light and then the other two led/red lights I placed on the outer wall, inside the boat, on the front storage compartment. I haven't been on here in forever because I have been out enjoying fishing!

how's that "ted williams" 7 horse run?! have you gotten to run it with the boat yet? i had the EXACT same engine but ESKA brand 7hp outboard on my 12ft modified jon boat.... great little motor that would start and run great every time!

inlovewithsurfin said:
how's that "ted williams" 7 horse run?! have you gotten to run it with the boat yet? i had the EXACT same engine but ESKA brand 7hp outboard on my 12ft modified jon boat.... great little motor that would start and run great every time!

Sadly disappointing :cry: It ran, but kept leaking gas. We tried a carb. kit, but it still didn't work. I will be trying to sell it for parts when I get a chance.