On board battery charger

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PATRIOT2 said:
This may be after the fact, but I was considering the same thing as far as a battery charger until I found I already have the lighting coil under my flywheel so all I really need is the rectifier assembly ($97 new, looking for used) to be able to charge batteries or operate running lights. You may have the lighting coil already as well.

Coil will not put out enough amps to keep up with a trolling motor, and unregulated can cause problems for some electronics if the voltage climbs too high.

Ive been trying to decide between onboard or portable charger. I found a new portable Minn Kota MK110P for $65. I like the idea of an onboard, but if I can save about $30, it may be worth it to go portable. Can these portable chargers be used while everything is still connected to the battery? Chargers like these seem just as convienent to plug in while the boat is parked in the garage as long as you don't have to disconnect everything from the battery. I'm a newbie and just looking for some general advice, so it's all appreciated. I'm taking the boat for a test run tomorrow and if everything is good I'm going to start on my modification and start my own project thread. I love this site!! :) :lol:

Project:
1974 14' Starcraft semi-V
1973 Evinrude 9.5 Sportwin
Minn Kota TM
Hummingbird FF
Bilge pump

It depends on your electronics. Most are fine. I have a MG Wireless trolling motor which doesn't have a on/off switch, which is recommended to have disconnected while charging.

Latest posts