Other people pulling your boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zseverns

Reaction score
I am like most people on here and started with a very small boat and sold it to get a bigger better boat with little money to work with. I take a lot of pride it what I have and worked very hard to get it so I am not ruff on my boat. When I go with some of my friends(who have things just pretty much given to them and when they tear it up it is just replaced) I am so worried about it and always watching it just to make sure it is riding OK. So for the 4th we are going camping and I was wanting to take my boat to do a little fishing but when my wife asked if we were taking it I said no. She asked my why and I told her that I'm not letting someone else pull my boat while I'm not there.(they are leaving a day earlier then us) So my ? is am I being anal or do other people think this way? Because the boat I have can't be replaced anytime soon if it get tore up.

Your stuff - your rules!

Plus - boats can be dangerous - both towing and running the them

Tell the "friends" that your liability insurance will not cover a third party user - you need to be present

Not a bad idea. Nobody else gives a dang about your stuff... except that meth addict down the street.
:LOL2:
Lock it up good.

Loggerhead there ain't nobody going to drive my boat but me. My wife drove it one time without me knowing and I heard her scream I look back and the boat is in reverse and she is running to the front of the boat about to jump to the bank. I said were really about to jump off my boat while the motor is in reverse.

I let other people pull mine and it keeps money in my pocket. Gas in the truck and the boat gets expensive when you go as much as I do. I know around here the insurance on the truck covers the boat too. Only thing you got to worry about is a truck with just liability and some piece of crap with no insurance rear ending your boat! I'd do it if they have full coverage so worse come to worse it's paid for.

Nobody drives or pulls my boat without me being there. I have only let one person pull it and he kept dropping the wheel off on the shoulder and almost pulled it over a curb. I was a nervous wreck by the time we got where we were going, never again.

The insurance will cover it, but only for what it is worth at the time. The way a boat depreciates, it more than likely won't completely replace it or even come close.

On a side note, after I bought the new Mercury last fall, I got a survey from them asking if I would be interested in a OBR program. Owner Boat Rental program similar to the VRBO Vacation Rental BY Owner they do with condos. My first thought was not a snowball's chance in you know what.

Gents:

What I wrote about the insurance was a "ploy" to allow zseverns an excuse and a way to save face if his friends gave him a hard time about not sharing

It may or may not be a true description of his actual coverage

I appreciate fellow fishing friends offering to pull my boat when we go fishing. I would only do it if I consider them safe drivers. That being said, I sometimes am wrong. Friend of mine pulled it on a 10 hr trip, I reminded him that my trailer is sorta wide, at least 7 ft and watch it at the curbs. He says "I used to be a truck driver, I know how to drive". We left a cracker barrel and he ran my trailer over a 8 inch straight vertical curb. It was my mistake, I forgot that truck drivers like to run up on curbs.

As far as running my boat, I want fellow fisherman to be able to run my boat. If I fall out or I can't do it for some reason. They need to be able to get us back to the dock or come pick me up when I fall out. So I always show them how and always point out the life jackets, etc.. You might think it is simple and obvious but it is not to some people especially when a panic ensues.

Tim

I guess I'm the weird one here as I don't really care at the end of the day, but I keep cheap boats. I'd feel differently if I had a 35K cabin cruiser or even a 10K bass boat but I have a little flatbottom and trailer and I've got less than $1000 in the entire package so if a buddy wants to take it out they're welcome to, with the understanding that if they break it, they bought it.

One friend with a bigger boat and sense of responsibility I would trust with my favorite boat. Otherwise I will haul it.
If you are anal you are anal. A guy has to have something in life that's his and kept up to his own standards if he desires. A boat is different than many things like vehicles or homes,it can get more personal. l.o.l..

I would never feel comfortable letting someone be in charge of any of my boats. I've had beaters, and now have a new boat, and have felt the same way no matter how much or little they cost. I can think of only one person I would trust with my rig. Aside from being uber-safe on the road and water, he is a very responsible person and would not only pay for any damage he might cause, but would feel terrible if it happened.

Beyond that, I just smile when someone jokes about borrowing my boat. They must be joking, how could anyone possibly think I'd let them use my boat?

Latest posts