Over the weight limit...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleTinny

Reaction score
Ok guys, got a question for you, just looking for a few opinions because I know the technical answer. So I got a 12' sears flat-bottom Jon boat, rated for 440lbs. I never bust my weight capacity on it in a normal situation. However, I would really like to take my grandpa fishing with me soon. He's getting up in age, and I never know how many more fishing seasons we'll have together, but it's our favorite way to spend time together. I really would like to take him out in the boat, but I know between the two of us, we're going to bust my capacity. If I had to estimate, probably more like 500 or so lbs. Now my boat is bare bones, no flooring, just a lightweight trolling motor and battery, two poles and some lures, so my gear weight is minimal. Think I'd have problems taking my grandpa out, is it not worth the risk? I don't want the boat to be unstable and rocky and make him nervous, and more importantly, don't wanna sink. Has anyone gone over their capacity before, or is this just a bad idea I have to let go of? Thanks in advance

Do you really want your Grampa dying because you knowingly overloaded your own boat?
If the answer is yes then sure go ahead and take him. If on the other hand the answer is NO!!!and you would rather not have to live with his death on your conscience then DON"T DO IT!!!!!! Beg, borrow, or steal a bigger boat from someone if you really need to take him out. One large wave is all it takes to swamp an overloaded boat.

Yeah... Obviously not.

What I was trying to get at here, is if the boats listed capacity is more of a "safe rating" and has a little extra give to it. When it's me and my fishing buddy, were darn close if not on the capacity when we're out, and boats not even close to low in the water. It's more stable than me solo, and is barely under the water any more than when I'm alone. My local lake is electric only, so I'm not really concerned with any "killer tidal waves" washing us away, and in a true catastrophe, we can both still swim. He's older, but not a cripple.

All I can say is most of the boats here that are modified are over their weight capacity when in use. I'm not telling you to do it, I'm just stating a fact.

You could probably put some Beavertail pods on your boat and that should increase your weight rating some.

If you were taking that boat out on a family owned pond or something I'd say you would be fine but if you're taking it out anywhere that other people boat, especially people with bigger boats and motors I'd personally say it's too risky and not worth it.

Why not just rent a boat for the day? I mean it's not cheap but it beats the possibly dangerous alternative right?

Boat capacity ratings are not some arbitrary number. They are based on how much the boat can carry and still stay afloat due to the foam flotation should the boat become compromised.

Latest posts