Painting Aluminum Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jspansel

Reaction score
Been a few questions about painting an aluminum boat.

This is how I did it...

https://voices.yahoo.com/how-properly-paint-aluminum-7498446.html?cat=11

I recently repainted the gunnels on my bass tracker. I like some of your tips. wish I had seen the write up earlier.

Thanks! Paint is still holding up pretty well. Thought I posted pics.... Here they are again

This is what I started with:

2q16x3t.jpg

Sorry no during pics.

This is finished product. I use anti slip additive as well. Like sand.

f08dix.jpg

14t4pdi.jpg

I have a gas motor now and gas tank in the back where the tackle boxes used to be. Its been a couple years since these pics. Slightly wearing through where the gas tank is (I assume from the gas splash). Some small scuff marks at the feet area too but not too bad. Very happy with how its holding up.

Nice job. For anyone trying to duplicate this though you won't likely be able to get Zinc Chromate anymore . THe newer Envirofriendly version is Zinc Phospate. I never could tell if it worked as good. If you want really really tough wear resistant finish get this, EPOXY CHROMATE. That's what the jet jockeys use. Yea it's 2 part and likes to be sprayed and is a pain because if you mix up too much it hardens in the can and all that . Very nice stuff though a bit expensive but nothing is stronger.
I have to say looking at your pics I would never have thought you could have rolled it, I never saw a roller job come out that smooth. =D>

Thanks for this jspansel,

I think I am just about to paint myself and am for the most part going to follow suit of your methods.

Have bare alum boat, wire brushed all the gunk off, sealed the seams with gluvit.

I have 3 cans of Zinc Chromate spray primer.

Going to do a vinegar wash as well.

I have a buddy who has a gravity fed paint sprayer.

Was wondering how many coats you think I can accomplish in one day?

Am going to start on the outside first. Temps will be low 80s this weekend .

Figured if I can get is prepped and washed, and primed by mid afternoon, could spray 2 coats on during the hottest points of the day?

Am going to spray in the garage and then take it outside to bake.

Thanks. It all depends on the paint you use for dry time between coats. Check what the paint says and try to follow that. :)

No reason why not, especially if it's being sprayed. If you use the stuff with hardener ( Isocyanates) in it (2 part paint) definitely paint it outside and use a decent respirator with NEW FILTERS. That's not even the recommended protection (supplied air) but it will do if you do it outside and stay out of the cloud. Hardened paint dries very quickly and you would be ready for the second coat less than a half hour after you finish the first. Whatever you use just make sure it's compatible with the primer you used for a base. If you aren't used to using a spray gun then be careful what else is nearby that might get painted by the over spray.
If you for some reason have to do the second coat more than 24 hours after the first make sure you are within the recoat window the manufacturer specifies. If you have to wait longer than the specified time then you need to lightly wet sand so adhesion is assured. Most good quality paints have a direction sheet you can usually find online . It's well advised to read it and stick to whatever program they specify as closely as you can.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=350846#p350846 said:
driz » 01 May 2014, 13:17[/url]"]No reason why not, especially if it's being sprayed. If you use the stuff with hardener ( Isocyanates) in it (2 part paint) definitely paint it outside and use a decent respirator with NEW FILTERS. That's not even the recommended protection (supplied air) but it will do if you do it outside and stay out of the cloud. Hardened paint dries very quickly and you would be ready for the second coat less than a half hour after you finish the first. Whatever you use just make sure it's compatible with the primer you used for a base. If you aren't used to using a spray gun then be careful what else is nearby that might get painted by the over spray.
If you for some reason have to do the second coat more than 24 hours after the first make sure you are within the recoat window the manufacturer specifies. If you have to wait longer than the specified time then you need to lightly wet sand so adhesion is assured. Most good quality paints have a direction sheet you can usually find online . It's well advised to read it and stick to whatever program they specify as closely as you can.

+1

Follow the manufacturers recommended procedure the best you can.