Painting with rustoleum rattle can?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorado1135

Reaction score
I found a rattle can of rust-oleum 2x ultracover paint+primer that is the exact color I need for my boat that's faded. would this be ok to use since the old paint is still solid, just faded?

I figured to sand with 220 grit,wipe down with damp rags then wash with hot water/vinegar then apply coat once it dries. Anyone foresee any issues with this? I don't see why it wouldn't hold up but I don't know, hence why I'm asking.

I think it should be fine. If you do hit bare metal while sanding you will need to apply self etching primer to those spots.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

good, intact factory paint makes a great primer for the next paint job. I would sand lightly to knock off any dirt and shiny spots and paint right over the existing.

Awesome, that's what I thought but it never hurts to double check. there are two small dock rash spots that are smaller than a quarter that will probably need primer, other than that it's all still great aside from the fading

overboard said:
Preparation is the key, I don't think you will have a problem using rattle can paint.
Yes, prep is 95% of a good paint job.. if you can see it before applying paint.. you will definitely see it after painting.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk