Parts motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charger25

Reaction score
I've been kicking the idea around to put an electric start sys. on the 25.( mine is a '92 ) I happened to find a probable donor on c-list. Looks like a lot of parts are interchangeable from what I can look up . What do yall think would be a good offer for it, he's asking 400. I think its a bit much.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/boa/3810237434.html

I would want to get it for less but you have to figure a stator, starter and switch will put you well over half way there. Plus you have a spare lower unit.

If the motor is seized, and he doesn't know the history of the motor, there's no way of knowing what other parts are damaged or worthless either. It could have been laid up because the PO lost the gears in the lower unit, all the electrical could be fried, or some other problem, and the motor could have frozen up while it was sitting there. There's just no way to be sure. And under those conditions, I wouldn't pay half what he's asking because there are too many unknowns. Of course, if you're the type that likes to gamble, roll the dice and hope for the best.

My experience of CL is most of those people will take less. They price it high so they can be talked down to the price that they want. I would go look at it and take a hand full of green backs. Lets say you would give 200 for it. Get a couple of 100 dollar bills and another 100 in 20s and 10s. Cash talks! I think you should be able to pick it up for 200-300 easy.

Steve

I've bought stuff like that before. And got what I needed. Other times got skroooood. Bought a 6.8L V10 engine from a guy who said a head gasket was leaking and filled a cylinder so it wouldn't turn over. I needed the heads, crank, and block-I had everything else. Got it for $200, got it home and found out it was TRASHED. Bent rods. Twisted crank that didn't pass a magnaflux test (cracks in that journal fillet). Pretty much junk for what I needed it for. On that 30 hp motor, it could very well be a seized powerhead...but how long did they try to crank it with the starter with it being seized up? Coulda burnt up the starter brushes and armature, and in a case like that you don't want to put a lot of money into it because there's not anything on it worthwhile unless the foot is still good. That said, if you can check it out to verify that the parts you need are in fact good, then yeah it may be worth a couple bills-but not much more.

Latest posts