People Fishing From the Boat Ramp.........

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwengerd

Reaction score
Ok, 1st time posting( long time reader) this site actually gave me plenty of ideas for turning my 14' semi-v into a " bass boat" great website. Any how on to my subject, have any of you guys every ran into this problem you launch your boat go fish for awhile then come back to dock up so you can get your truck and trailer and there is a small crowd fishing from the **** ramp i find this very rude/ and **** annoying was wondering if anyone of you guys have ran into this issue. And they are never eager to move always actting like you r interupting their fishing :shock: . Just had to vent a little bit lol. Thanks, Justin

Yep, have ran into that situation. Normally I beach the boat, and as I'm walking by the ramp to get my truck I tell them they might want to move themselves and their gear as I'm not real good at backing the trailer and occasionally hit something. Works like a charm. :)

Waterwings said:
Yep, have ran into that situation. Normally I beach the boat, and as I'm walking by the ramp to get my truck I tell them they might want to move themselves and their gear as I'm not real good at backing the trailer and occasionally hit something. Works like a charm. :)

LMAO :lol: :lol: good tactic!

I have gotten some strange looks after I flawlessly (doesn't happen all the time, lol) back the trailer down the ramp, load the boat, and then pull-up to the area where everyone preps their stuff before leaving, lol.

The lakes I go to have wardens stationed at them and they don't hesitate to make people get off the ramp or docks for the ramp.Our lakes have designated fishing areas,outside of those you get a warning, and then asked to leave.

my main ramp is just a clearing on the side of the road / river that's just big enough to squeeze your boat in. other than that 5ft space, the rest is a straight down dropoff. people usually fish rite next to the redneck ramp but they usually real in and move respectavily when they see you comming. i never have but if they wanted to get smart about having to real in and move i'd be sure to cut a few do-nuts at WOT where they're fishing

I don't know...I have more years fishing withOUT a boat than I do with one, so I sort of sympathize with people who are stuck on shore. That said, it IS a boat ramp or "take-out" point, so people who fish there should be prepared for some disruption.

I have my own beef~the launch I use is basically one of two roads (500 yards apart) that end at the lake I fish at most. One of these roads~everyone agrees....is an acceptable place to launch, most boaters respect the parking limitations (a pain in the a** by the way) and so on. Boaters and residents get along. But, for some reason, on the other road, the people who live beSIDE it (it is public land) believe that it should be used as a beach, not a launch. Neither spot has any signage to suggest one is, or isn't a launch/beach....nor is there anything suggesting such a limitation. I haven't had anything said to me in recent years, but last weekend, I chose to take-out in this spot, as the other road was jammed with a few other boaters and it appeared as though there was a truck stuck in the water. Anyhow, I had my kids and my elderly father with me, so opted for plan B~the "no-no" road. Long story short~the neighbor-guy cutting his grass shut his mower off and took me to task on my decision, even though he had no grounds to do so. Not wanting to upset the kids, I approached him quietly tell him to Pi**-off and mind his own business. Having about 10" in height on this guy, and probably 200lbs., he dropped the issue, but it wasn't a nice way to end what was otherwise a great outing.

So...........I understand your point. Its a shame to think that no matter how much time/effort/money you put into a boat and a day on the water, it sucks to think that you might end up in a argument when you hit land at the end of the day.

Sorry for the long-winded post...I'm venting too... :|

As you stated, it's a shame a good day with the boat and family has to end that way, but there is usually someone who will occasionally spoil it, such as the guy mowing his yard. The lake I use has two ramps, with one at each end, which worked well as there two different access points to the water, and they both have a dock that people use to fish from. The city closed the ramp at the far end of the lake after 9/11 and haven't opened it up since then. The dock has fallen into disrepair, and the grassy area that was used as a turn-around trailer parking area has grown. Now, that being said, the main reason most of the people (fisherman) that I have talked to believe it was because a lot of really expensive homes were being built there, and two of the homes are real close to the water and right beside the road leading to the ramp. We're thinking they, the homeowners which are mostly the high dollar professional types) didn't want to be bothered by us tinboat fishing types. This year the city started permitting boats to fish closer to the dam (used to be 100' distance restriction after 9/11, same time the other ramp was closed. So, we can now fish right along the dam area (just not near the spillway), but the rear ramp is still closed. Just my opinion, but I chalk it up to local politics and "loud" $$ as the cause of the remaining ramp closure.

The next time I'm out on the water I'll take a couple pics of the closed ramp and the close-by homes.

most of the launches here are clearly marked NO FISHING OR SWIMMING. we have plenty of fishing docks on the lakes here in the metro.

Happened to me this weekend - but there was no drama. I just pulled up and they kept fishing. They were pleasant - but I didn't understand how casting about 3' from my boat they figured there would be a good bite, haha.

Well i live in south florida and fish mostly saltwater and yea theyll keep their lines out and just stare at you. so i just drive on through than once im home pull off the fishing line from my prop. They learn eventually who wont deal with their immigrant shiznit.

I had it happen to me last saturday. I was drifting in and said bubba, can I'm docking right here to go get my truck, you mind moving so I can get this tin can out of the water? Luckily he was a kid and moved with no problem, but he wasnt going to move until I said something.

I like the bad backupper tactic, I may have to try that and I have also been known to idle past the ramp about where they are fishing and go up about 100 yards and turn back around and do it again on the way back to the ramp. If they say anything, I tell them I was having problems with the idler on the motor not wanting to kick out of gear or some made up crap.. LOL!!!

[-X I dont think its a immigrant thing as much as people in general being inconsiderate and yes being the sun of a immigrant I take offence to the comment

They learn eventually who wont deal with their immigrant shiznit.

last time i was in florida pier fishing a group of asians would come throw a castnet rite next to your line and didnt speak a lick of english when you try'd to tell them off. we would move to a differnt spot and another would come do the same thing. after 3 times i grabed a guys bucket of craps and threw it off the pier. it was ridiculious it had to get to that point before they got the message

cubanredneck said:
I dont think its a immigrant thing...
Agreed

The boat ramp folks don't annoy me like the ones fishing from the docks at the ramp. I can't figure out if they are that stupid or if they are trying to be jerks. Either way, I'm putting my boat on that dock where I want to. You can either reel in or have me run over your lines, and I've done both with a smile on my face. \:D/

It can be annoying when they are inconsiderate. Whats more annoying is the ones who use a sain or cast net while you trying to get in.

Side bar, my first boat was a 19' Formula Ski boat In board with a 5.8 V8. Used mostly for fun but did some fishinig. Encountered a few drunks fishing at the dock at Uncle Guss's Marina. So I hammered down did a nice circle and then came in to trailer the boat. A couple of them was crap talking and wanted to confront me. Changed there minds when they saw me get out of the boat ( I'm 6'8 345 lbs). As i was laughing with a friend when two Game Wardens can up, The drunks were educated on the PI rules. :lol:

Of course I learned all about no wake zones! :( I was a lot younger then, wouldn't do that now.

there are only two reasons things like that happens:
1: people are unaware of the rules.
2: people are being selfish, not caring what there actions do to others.
in my experience it is usually #2.

selfish people are of every race and ethnic group, just as kind and generous people come from all groups as well.

it is rude to use the boat ramps for fishing and disregard those trying to use it appropriately;
but it is even worse to judge an entire group based on the actions of a few.

i think everyone here is better than some of the comments would suggest.

One small lake I fish has hundreds of yards of shoreline available within short distances from parking for non-boaters to fish from. Some deep water, some shallow, some with good cover, you get the idea. It has ONE boat ramp, with ONE lane, and a dock that is no more than 4 feet wide, probably closer to 3. I launched early one morning, and when I came back there were 6 or 8 fishing along the bank, two LAWN CHAIR fishermen sitting in the middle of the ramp with bobbers 6 feet in front of them over pavement, and 2 more in lawn chairs on the dock. I tied up to the dock and had to squeeze by the lawn chairs to get to my truck, and the guys ON the ramp reluctantly moved when my trailer was backing their way. Maybe they were scared of getting chiggers?
rolleyes.gif

Jwengerd said:
Ok, 1st time posting( long time reader) this site actually gave me plenty of ideas for turning my 14' semi-v into a " bass boat" great website. Any how on to my subject, have any of you guys every ran into this problem you launch your boat go fish for awhile then come back to dock up so you can get your truck and trailer and there is a small crowd fishing from the **** ramp i find this very rude/ and **** annoying was wondering if anyone of you guys have ran into this issue. And they are never eager to move always actting like you r interupting their fishing :shock: . Just had to vent a little bit lol. Thanks, Justin

Nope, I've always seen people move out of the way around here. Maybe its because a bigger fishing area is differant. We fish alot of pits around here, and they still can be loaded with fisherman, then again its mostly public hunting areas too. Lot of freindly respect for boys that carry guns. Only time its gotten ugly was when I saw a dude trying to dump a mattress and one fella got caught running a gas motor in an all electric area.

I actually waited one time when a fella was letting his girlfriend(I guess) reel in a fish she got. Sure I could be a Mr. King and tell him he could still scoot out the way, but they was in the moment and I waited.

To me it has to do with "Life takes on a whole new meeting when you thought you was leaving this earth one day and wasn't ready", makes you appreciate alot more, even if its inconvenient.

I believe we are just spoiled :roll: and want our way too.

So, got some big plans for your boat??