Pflueger Patriarch A++

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkbirocz

Reaction score
Just wanna give a heads up that tacklewarehouse still has the smaller series on sale for $149. I got one last week along with a lew's reel and two new rods, and I am just blown away by this thing. I have the centrifugal brake all the way open, the magforce set to no higher than 2, and the spool tension practically off and it casts like a dream. I can actually skip jigs with it I was so surprised. I still have yet to catch a LM on it but I did land a decent striper with it on my old kistler rod. I also have to say this thing is incredibly smooth. The Lew's reel is also great and lighter than a feather, but the Patriarch just feels frictionless. I am in love. I fished for probly 8 hours with it so far and eventhough I haven't caught a LM on it yet, I am just enjoying casting and reeling in with this thing :shock: Here's a pic of the striper I caught with it on sunday night. The drag is super smooth and pretty powerful, its not as powerful as my revo stx, but who really needs 22lbs of drag on a bass sized reel. Also the finish on the reel is gorgeous. As long as this thing holds up I will definately be buying more. I don't think it will be a problem as I have a president spinning reel that has been through three torture filled seasons with no issues.

DSC00333.jpg

So, other than the drag comparison, (which you did mention)...how does it compare to your STX? I have 3 STXs and still have not found anything better. I do like my Lews though....but even it's not an STX.

It's hard to say really, my stx is three years old and definately not as tight as the day I got it. I like that the pflueger has the centrifugal brake as well as the magforce, it seems to let you cast farther with lighter lures. Don't get me wrong I love my stx, it has put up with years of abuse and still works very well. I do, however, think the pflueger is still smoother than the revo when it was new. I have been an abu man for years and have a bunch of the older round reels, but I refuse to only buy one brand. These days there are so many great products out there, fishing equipment is at a level it has never been at before.

I know that doesn't really answer your question, but thats really all I can offer. Both are excellent reels, I have just been impressed with what pflueger has been putting out the last few years and saw that they were on sale and figured it was time to give them a shot, and I am glad I did.

Another thing to add is that I tore my revo completely apart over the winter and polished the side cover and painted the frame, its hard to even tell its a revo anymore. I am gonna change out the bearings and get a few replacement parts to see if I can tighten it up, then maybe I will be able to answer your question better.

I have been an abu man for years and have a bunch of the older round reels, but I refuse to only buy one brand. These days there are so many great products out there, fishing equipment is at a level it has never been at before.

Absolutely true. I have three different baitcasters to prove it. Abu, Lews, Quantum. Like them all...but love my STX.

Latest posts