Pink hue after wiping plywood

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pghgrouser

Reaction score
I have been applying epoxy to all of my plywood. It has been going ok at best, hopefully it is at least waterproof. But in prepping the back side of the ply wood I first sanded all the drips that hardened from the initial three coats of epoxy as well as a quick roughing of the edges to build them up more. Now when I started wiping the ply wood with a damp sponge some of the plywood now has an odd pink hue. Is this a cause for concern? Something I need to sand off? I am not worried about optics just waterproof as it will be covered in carpet or vinyl depending on the piece. Oh and this is not occuring on most pieces and they have dried for at least 5 days.

Attachments

• 20210508_144111.jpg
    20210508_144111.jpg
    11 MB · Views: 339
I've done a fair bit of work with Raka's (although it was slow hardener). The picture to me looks like the plywood soaking up liquid from your "damp sponge". Am I looking at the wrong thing? Did it go away after it dried a bit?

Raka is always super responsive to questions, you can give them a call at 772.489.4070 or email [email protected]

Thanks for the reply. It did not go away, although it did sand off after I let it all dry. It seemed to only be on the surface. I still have a few pieces that have the hue left on in places where I missed the sanding. I will send them an email and see if they have a thought on what would cause it. My thought was blush that I inadvertently wiped from the sealed edges to the raw plywood.