POLARKRAFT 1654 duck/bass boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottomcountry

Reaction score
Hey ya'll,I'm new to the site and kinda new to the boating world. I have a small mossy oak pond hunter boat, it's an awsome little boat but just that (little).I made a 6 hour round trip a couple weeks ago ago to but thisboat you will see below. I love it but I want more storage BUT i wanna keep my open floor. I wanna know about cuttin a hole in the back of the front deck kinda like alot of yalls boats have from the factory or put a hatch in the top of the deck and back seast just not sure how to go about it. I also wanna put a steering console in but I'm confused about $$ and what i need, alot of guys told me for duck hunting to ust keep the tiller handle. Any comments are greatly appreciated thanks ya'll
395929326.jpg

395963823.jpg

395963826.jpg

395963830.jpg

Ok maybe I posted this under the wrong forum or something. I was really looking forward to finding out about the cost of adding a steering unit and console and if the hatch covers from Bass Pro or Cabelas was worth the price. I was also looking forward to talking about boats,fishing,a nd duck hunting to others with the same interests, thanks for the info I was able to gain from other post.

I'm sure some others will chime in.
It's a good crowd and people must have just missed your post.
I can't add to much on what your wanting to know.I do read duckhunting forums and like you say they seem to like tiller handles better then consoles.Probably because of all the gear,decoys,dogs,people and the bind that have to go with you.
Stick around and welcome to the site.

You can order a side console from www.akmcallum.com I think the side consoles are about $200.00 brand new. I got mine cheaper from my local boat shop he gets his stuff direct from the factory and gets me some good deals. You might be able to get your local boat shop or BassPro shops to order you one cheaper than you can get one.

A side console saves you a lot of room in the boat over a center console but does take up a little room. Its well worth it to me to have a steering wheel though. Plus you get the entire rear deck for shooting/fishing/fighting/gigging/ or poleing! what are you going to be doing in the middle of the boat any way that you need that much room? Walking around in circles?

Another cost you will have to figure in is the cost of the steering wheel and the remote controls.

As for hatches, I just cut a hole in my center seat and installed a hatch. I made a spot to store my cranking battery in the center bench. Its a pain to do it if you have to remove foam but I am very happy with it. You could do the same type of hatch only not on top of the bench but on the vertical front of it. The hatch was I got was $40 from my shop. I think they are about $45-$50 at BPS

Check my thread to see if any of it is what you are looking for and I would be glad to offer any advice that I can. I learned a lot while building my little rig about what to do and what I will not do again!.LOL
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17299

https://akmccallumco.com/store-console.htm

Here is the link straight to the console. You can also get one from Alumacraft through an Alumacraft dealer. e-bay is good too.

Rigging and controls are not cheap you might be better off going with a new (used) motor that has all the controls and rigging included. You might even be able to trade someone that has a remote controlled motor that is looking for a tiller motor.

My advice would be to get the boat the way you want it with the Tiller. Then if you come across a good deal on a remote motor or a kit to convert yours then go with purchasing and installing the side console.

Good luck and keep us posted with lots of pics!

Looks like you've got a good platform to get started for sure. As for cutting hatches, there is a ton of info on here that will lead you to the right place. Personally, I would prefer a small hatch on the backside of the the deck so you can get in the gear you need, but keep the majority of the structural support. Also, consider making your modifications adaptable or removable, in a way that you can easily switch the boat from duck hunting to fishing and back.

As for the OB, from years of duck hunting experience, I can say without a doubt that a tiller is the best bet. Think of all the logs and debris that you might need to hop over to get to that good duck hole. A tiller allows you to set the OB to tilt, and it can swing up and over the log and then back down with little problem. I would assume most console models would have tilt and trim. With the hydraulic pressure involved, the OB won't swing up over the obstructions nearly as well, if at all. And it seems that it would put a lot of wear and tear and the hyd cylinders and pumps as well. But you have to work with whats available, and I would bet there is a way to get everything you want, just might take some research and creative thinking.

Best of luck!
Skidz

i have about the same setup (14/48 lund) with stick steering in front with controls, 30 horse johnson, just leave the motor unlocked when goin through debris and it swings up...the stick steering leaves plendy of room for decoys and blind. Its alot more comfortable than sitting sideways in the back i think but if you already have a tiller motor youd have to convert it to remote...i think the site for the stick steer is www.ezyglide.com or something like that