Pond Fish

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FishinsMyLife317 said:
I used live shiners today and still caught the big zero :( . Thats really saying something about my fishing skills
Livebait takes skills?!! :?

SMDave said:
FishinsMyLife317 said:
I used live shiners today and still caught the big zero :( . Thats really saying something about my fishing skills
Livebait takes skills?!! :?

i was thinkin the same thing it takes patience skills that i dont have i have to keep movin ( i guess its the adhd :roll: )

Live bait takes a lot of skill really. I only use it for cats and when its freezing out. Its not just putting the bait on the hook and letting it sit, there are many ways to rig a shiner or baitfish, not to mention be able to cast it far enough without tearing it off. If you told guides down in Florida, that use shiners religously, that it takes no skill using live bait, I am sure you will get an ear full. I suck at live bait fishing personally and envy anyone that knows all the rigs and special techniques. Skill is not only being able to work a rubber worm or spinnerbait, its got a lot to do with knowing what presentation to use and when to use it.

I've been jigging crawlers and minnows all my life but I also love to cast spinners, lures and jig a plastic. On plastics, larger hooks and Texas, Carolina or Lindy rigs for deep water. But, when using crawlers or minnows, I always use a #4 or #6 Aberdeen with a very small split shot about 20" up. Cast towards shore and let it sink then jig it down the structure. Most of the time when a walleye hits, you can't feel anything - but maybe a light "tap, tap". It take a long time to get the hang of hooking walleyes on live bait. They have a knack of rolling the bait around in their mouth then spitting it out if the feel the hook or line. Most people don't eaven know they have a bite until they miss one or check their bait and find it all chewed up. Bass will sometimes do the same thing (spit it out) but usually they'll run with it in their mouths a little. The trick is to let them run just enough to insure that they have it in their mouth then set it before they spit it out. Of course somethines they'll just swallow and swin away - I hate gut hooking them, but it does happen. Catching 5-plus pounders on a #6 Aberdeen with 4-6 lb test is a lot of fun :D Just my 2-cents worth, I certainly don't claim to be an expert and I only started fishing again last year after a 25 year hiatis and, I'm very sure many of you also jig crwlers and minnows in the same fashion.

Latest posts