popper?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I caught one of my biggest bass on a small 3/8 ounce red & white popper. A farm pond in Oklahoma, about 35 years ago, snuck up on the pond about 7:00 am, threw that small popper out along the shore - about 18 inches from shore - WHAM - it hit after one Blurrrp - after about 5 minutes or so, I landed the 6.5 largemouth :) :) Otherwise, I use regular size (5/8) poppers regularly, when the conditions call for surface lures. I got red, yellow & black ones in the box...

After reading about how slow to go, I had to try it out. I started out the am fishing it fast, and no bites. kept going slower and had one miss. Then I went 'painfully' slow - and caught 4 bass. Pretty good when others were only catching 1-2.

I guess it depends on what the fish want. I've fished them so fast, I didn't think the fish could catch up to them - but they did. :LOL2:

Also, I fish them all the way back to the boat/shore. Several times I have caught bass in the deeper water that really had no cover. No real reason for them to be there than they were just hungry.

I wait until the rings disappear from the initial touch down and then just give a snap to the slack in the line so you get that "bloop" sound and kick up a bit of a splash. I usually wait a few seconds before the next pop and then so on. If that doesn't get a bite, I speed up the retrieve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOFtt0243XQ

Check out this video on how slow he fished his popper.

The green one is my favorite color skitterpop.

I will cast it out and let it sit for for about 15 seconds. Then I will pop it and let it sit about 5 seconds between pops. I try to get short pops without bringing it back to me too fast. If I see a fish come close or try to bite it I will pop it two or three times to make the fish think it is running from him. Works well for me.