Portable Livewell Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Captain Ahab said:
Great info guys! One more question - do you think i need the spray bar or will an aerator do the trick?

Are you referring to the commercially available nozzle that goes on the water outlet? If so, it allows you to control the amount of water flow, so it is a good option. I started without one, then found one on clearance and added it later.

Captain Ahab said:
Great info guys! One more question - do you think i need the spray bar or will an aerator do the trick?

I like the spray bar. If you are going to use the livewell for bait as well, I've heard that the jet of water can harm delicate bait fish. The abiity to use just one pump to fill and empty the livewell is what is appealing to me, and we have have been successful at releasing healthy fish for 3 years with it.

Dang I have missed alot since I've been gone... I've read all the posts, but let me just go off on my own little tangent while the thoughts are still in my head.

I've tried 3 different livewells, and all work given their time of day and place, so I'll go in order of build.

1 - Rubbermaid cooler. I have a 22gal that I made into the livewell which is on the home page. It does good when the water doesn't need to be really cooled, like night (still put an ice pack or something in there though during the hot months) or during the winter when the water is cold enough that you don't really need circulation and oxygen is not being depleted as fast. I gave the guy who bought my 1236 the rubbermaid livewell I made, and during our tournaments in the heat, it's hard as crap to keep the water cool, but the ice packs or frozen bottles help. Aeration is definitely needed during this time because unless the water temps are kept between 65-70, the oxygen goes faster and it speeds up the metabolism of the fish - fast metabolism equals smaller weights at the end of the day at weigh-in time.

2 - 90qt cooler. This was my upgrade and it was definitely a good one. The insulation makes a ton of difference, not to mention less flex of the rubbermaid. Aeration is still needed all day when you get into the hotter months, but you don't go through as many ice packs with the cooler and the water stays nice and cool.

3 - 150qt cooler. WAY TOO BIG... it works great though, but it's just huge. Same as above with aeration.

Ok, now for the tidbits...

1- Ice.
Don't put ice from a bag in your livewell unless you are using "Please Release Me" as an additive. Ice has chlorine in it which the fish do not do well with, but the Please Release Me takes care of it. When I fill my livewell, I do it first thing in the morning when the water is at its' coolest temps. I have a frozen 2-liter bottle in there, and let the water run over it so that it cools it off even more. After about 2 hours, I start putting in the plastic reusable ice packs - they stay frozen longer than the 2-liter bottles and they are smaller. They work the best in my opinion of keeping the temps down.

2- Aeration
I use a spray bar in all of the portable livewells, and in the warmer months, I keep the aerator running all day long. I don't change the water in my livewell during the day because the water temps are cooler and the water that you're putting in your well comes from the surface which is generally much warmer than where the fish are. Seldom to I get any foam in my cooler, but if I do, I only do about a 20% water change and I also use "Foam Off". A couple drops of that stuff takes care of the foam. One thing, if you do keep getting foam, open your lid just a little bit so that fresh air can come in, and the ammonia can go out. Foam on the surface will not allow oxygen to get into the water, so in essence you're suffocating your fish.
I use atleast 500gph bilge pumps or aerator pumps. I have actually found out that the fish and water seem to do much better with 800gph which is what I use on everything now.

The new livewell I'm putting in my boat will be permanent. I'm not going to put a spray bar in this one... I'm using one of the "Keep Alive" systems which blows in pure oxygen and circulates the water with it. If you've ever been to a place where you can get pure oxygen (great for hangovers) and see what it does to you, just imagine what it will do to the fish. (https://keepalive.net/portable.htm)

3 - Additives
I have used "Please Release Me" and "Catch and Release". Both are made by the same company, and they are both pretty close to each other except for the price and effectiveness in my opinion. Catch and Release is more expensive, but it doesn't seem to do as well as the Please Release Me - and I've used them both an equal number of times, and each time Please Release Me has won out... no more Catch and Release for me.

I'm sure there's stuff I'm forgetting to mention, but for what you need, I think a 120qt cooler, a 500-800gph bilge pump or aerator would serve your purposes well. I'll try to get some pics up of my new cooler set up.. I finally did it right. I put plexi glass along the top, fish have this amazing jumping capability and they don't like the cooler as much as the water they came out of!

Captain Ahab said:
Nope - I mean an air pump bubbler

ok for baitfish, but not for bass.

For baitfish, get a 5gal bucket and put the bubbler in it, but whatever you put them in, make sure it has rounded corners... they like to nose but the corners.

I saw something that said there should be a current in the water (circular current) so that they keep swimming. You can do that with a cooler by putting a spray jet coming in the side with an areator to keep the water moving

I have an old cooler in the basement.22".11".12"deep.
I thinking it may be big enough but probably not.
I catch the odd 20" fish my PB smallmouth is just shy of 22".
How much room(inches)should I have in front of the fishes face/tail?
I thinking 2"s is alittle small but I don't want to have to catch the fish all over again in the livewell either:).
Do you think I should have 6 inches of length space...extra?

Zum said:
I thinking 2"s is alittle small but I don't want to have to catch the fish all over again in the livewell either:).

I don't think it matters so longs as the fish fits without touching the sides.

Here is my tip of the day.....when you fill your bottles of water to freeze, add the fish saver/keep alive into the water and then freeze it. Then when you put the frozen bottle in your livewell, take the cap off and as the ice thaws, the fish saver will be let out into the livewell water.

Zum said:

In figuring out how many gallons of water your cooler will hold, it's calculated by multiplying width x length x height. This needs to be in Feet, so divide all of your numbers by 12, multiply them all together, then multiply that number by 7.5.

22 / 12 = 1.83
11 / 12 = 0.917
12 / 12 = 1

1.83 x 0.917 x 1 = 1.678

1.678 x 7.5 = 12.6 gallons

You generally want a ratio of 1lb of fish per 1 gallon of water... so in essence, you could hold up to 12 lbs in your cooler... now you don't fill the water all the way to the top because you need to have aeration, so you can probably have your depth be more like 7.5" (top of the water line to the bottom of the cooler. This will give you about 8lbs of bass that you could hold. This is just a standard from everything I've read in calculating how much water you need to hold to keep bass alive, but I think you'll be fine as long as you keep the ammonia off and the aerator running all of the time. In the colder months, you don't need to worry as much because the water is cold and their metabolism won't be as fast as in the hotter months.

It's not bad to have less space... you just need enough room for the fish to sit and be surrounded by water. The less moving they do, the less energy they expend which means they require less oxygen. You might have to do more water changes depending on the number of fish you put in there though just to take care of the ammonia the fish put out.

Here's some good reading... https://www.texas-bass.com/SE/documents/Cons/bass care.pdf

skindenny said:
Here is my tip of the day.....when you fill your bottles of water to freeze, add the fish saver/keep alive into the water and then freeze it. Then when you put the frozen bottle in your livewell, take the cap off and as the ice thaws, the fish saver will be let out into the livewell water.

I've read the same, but I'm not a big fan of releasing tap water / chlorinated water in the livewell.

I prefer to have the livewell prepped before the first fish goes in.

I saw the husband and wife combo who make this stuff (or atleast sponsor them) talking about this on their video...

Go to the bottom of the home page and click and watch the movie - it's still pretty informational

https://www.sure-life.com

Zum said:
I live in the country,dug well,no chlorine:)
Thanks for the reads.

Wells are another problem unless you treat the water with an RO system.Wells contain heavy minerals that can cause wellness issues with some species of fish.

ben2go said:
Zum said:
I live in the country,dug well,no chlorine:)
Thanks for the reads.

Wells are another problem unless you treat the water with an RO system.Wells contain heavy minerals that can cause wellness issues with some species of fish.
Heavy minerals...thats must be where I get my nice glow from:)

russ010 said:
I saw the husband and wife combo who make this stuff (or atleast sponsor them) talking about this on their video...

Go to the bottom of the home page and click and watch the movie - it's still pretty informational

https://www.sure-life.com

Only if you can stand to listen to the heavy metal music in the background the whole time.

Nothing like a head-banging infomercial... Good information, really stupid post production and music.