Possible Sled Boat Purchase, need advice/input

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacobOutdoors

Reaction score
I have been looking for a boat for a while to do some duck hunting and bay fishing/crabbing out of. Needed something that would support some crab pots, hunting buddy and dog with gear, or the wife and kids when we hit the ocean bays. Something that doesn't feel like we're sitting on top of each other. My budget won't currently allow me to afford a new sled style boat so I have been in search of something with potential that requires some elbow grease.

I stumbled upon this boat listed for sale locally, but I'll be honest. I don't really know the ins and outs of what I should be asking and looking for. I'm hoping you fine folks can help me! I've included some pics and the description listed by the seller below. What should I be asking or looking for? Does the price seem reasonable? I'm not interested in low-balling the seller, but getting it for a fair price to have funds for the renovation would be nice. The boat is currently listed at $1,500. Description and pics below, thanks!

Seller description: 16’ flat bottom Smokercraft sled boat with 25 hp Suzuki two stroke prop motor. The motor needs repairs to the tiller handle( broken knuckle where it lifts up), but it ran last time it was used. The boat needs a little paint but it was built with Smokercraft quality and very stout. Shes 6’ wide and very stable. Just needs someone with a little knowhow and some time or a new motor to help this old girl reach her potential again. I always wanted to put a jet motor on her so she could cruise up the rivers, but never did. She would make a great river boat, or awesome on the lake or bay! Asking $1,500.

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 184
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 183
  • pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 183
  • pic 4.jpg
    pic 4.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 183
  • pic 5.jpg
    pic 5.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 183
  • pic 6.jpg
    pic 6.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 183
Looks like a good deep boat. I would check to see exactly what part it needs for tiller handle. Could be a broken casting which would be hard to find/expensive.

If motor is repairable economically, $1500 is a good price, at least in my area.

I'm not familiar with the term Sled Boat?
The big dark colored reinforcement panel on the outside of the transom leads me to believe the transom is shot.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
The big dark colored reinforcement panel on the outside of the transom leads me to believe the transom is shot.

https://www.google.com/search?channel=cus2&client=firefox-b-1-d&q=sled+boat

CedarRiverScooter said:
Looks like a good deep boat. I would check to see exactly what part it needs for tiller handle. Could be a broken casting which would be hard to find/expensive.

If motor is repairable economically, $1500 is a good price, at least in my area.

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll do some looking into that.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:

I was wondering that myself. I messaged the seller to inquire about the condition of the transom. As many people have witnessed with projects on this board, people fix things in weird ways sometimes. I choose to add things that don't need to be added. I'm curious if that patch of metal falls into those categories or was the result of trying to salvage something. Being that the transom is metal on this boat it would most likely be a costly repair I would assume?

"Ran last time it was out"

Pretty much all of them ran last time they were out. I guess the broken tiller prevents it from being started now. I would assume the the motor is going to take a lot of work and then hope it turns out to be minor.

I think pricing is going to vary a lot by location. I agree with what CedarRiverScooter says -- around here I think that would be a pretty decent price.

LDUBS said:
"Ran last time it was out"

Pretty much all of them ran last time they were out. I guess the broken tiller prevents it from being started now. I would assume the the motor is going to take a lot of work and then hope it turns out to be minor.

I think pricing is going to vary a lot by location. I agree with what CedarRiverScooter says -- around here I think that would be a pretty decent price.

Good point on motor, I won't be able to ask them to start it to diagnose any other potential issues. So basically I'm buying just the boat at that price.

I'm in the Willamette Valley in Oregon, its hard to say if this is a fair price for a boat like this here. It would depend on any other work that would need to be done to assess pricing I guess?

Boats in decent condition (jon boats, flat bottom, sled types) go for anywhere from $2k to upwards of $30k depending on make, model, year, condition, etc.

If I might offer a suggestion: don't just go to a dealer and ask for an estimate on the engine repair...they really don't want to do it and would much rather suggest that it will be one thing after another and a new motor would alleviate a number of concerns.

Find a "guy." He's around. He fixes old motors, has done so for years, usually prefers cash, and probably has a pole shed full of old parts. Ask folks everywhere and take down the information. Once you find him, treat him well, pay on time, and don't haggle. He is worth his weight in platinum.

Best wishes.

Random thoughts:
  • A running motor is worth much more than an old boat. Unless the seller can run the motor for you, I would assume the motor is going to the scrap yard and would consider the price to buy a replacement motor in the cost.
  • Even if the motor does run, at a minimum, do a compression test. It's a pretty good indication of motor condition.
  • I have an older riveted boat and it's a great boat with no leaks. But...old riveted boats often leak at the rivets. Unless you're getting the hull really cheap, I would want to see it in the water.
  • I'm not sure what "6 foot wide" means but I'm guessing it's 6 ft at the gunnels. That makes the bottom around 48" wide - maybe a little more. A 1648 is a nice, stable boat for two people. It might be the most common size made. Always buy the biggest boat you can afford. You'll always have more people to take, more gear to haul, and want more room to move around than you expected when you bought it.
  • Someone else mentioned the plate on the rear of the transom. I would really push and pull on the transom to make sure there aren't any issues.
  • It's amazing what a coat of paint can do to an old boat.

Kismet said:
If I might offer a suggestion: don't just go to a dealer and ask for an estimate on the engine repair...they really don't want to do it and would much rather suggest that it will be one thing after another and a new motor would alleviate a number of concerns.

Find a "guy." He's around. He fixes old motors, has done so for years, usually prefers cash, and probably has a pole shed full of old parts. Ask folks everywhere and take down the information. Once you find him, treat him well, pay on time, and don't haggle. He is worth his weight in platinum.

Best wishes.

This is great advice. There is always that "guy" around somewhere

Hey everyone,

I want to say how much I appreciate the replies and information provided, you've all be a tremendous help. I was MIA for a bit to due to the above mentioned wildfire situation in Oregon currently. But things seem to be shifting in our area for the better, for now at least.

The story of this boat does not have a happy ending, unfortunately. I messaged the seller several times to attempt to set up a time to look at the boat and ask questions. I never got any reply. The boat was marked "sold" several days later.

I am currently looking into another couple of boats with similar dimensions. One is slightly more expensive but seems to have more to offer. One has what the seller refers to as a "pump" motor. But these other prospects at least have working motors that don't need service, that I'm aware of.

So, keep the suggestions coming! Its always good to know what I should be looking for when it comes to shopping for a used/older boat.