Prop Selection 15HP Mercury

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whj812

Reaction score
I am going to be replacing my outboards prop in the near future. The constant abuse that Ive put it through has shown. It now has a chip in one of the blades. Right now I have a prop with markings of 2126R 8 but cant find any info on it, pitch,diameter...etc. I now have a few questions regarding props.

My question is what prop will be best for my application? I have a 16.5 modified Jon. Use for fishing in lakes and rivers in my area.

A 3 Blade prop or a 4? What are the advantages/disadvantages of having a 4 blade as opposed to a 3?

Thanks in advance!!

My 15hp Merc still has its factory prop. It's a 9x9. From what I can tell, a majority of the 15's had this size...I could be wrong though.

Can't answer your questions though. I'm clueless when it comes to props/performance.

https://www.rbbi.com/folders/prop/propcalc.htm

https://www.marinedepo.com/proschool101.html

ST

I don't know THAT much about them, just from what others have told me and i've read. Typically a 4-blade is gonna be better for torque situations(getting up on plane faster) and a 3-blade will be a little better for top-end.

Im not too concerned about getting up on plane fast or anything. My little boat struggles to do what it does...... But its a workhorse dont get me wrong. I found some good deals for 4 blade props for around 60 bucks, and some 3 blades just like the one I have for around 100. Ill see if I can find some locally cheaper.

one thing you can is look up a local prop shop and take the prop to them and see if they will repair it the problem that you can run into is that you get too much prop for the motor you need to balance the two the prop dealer should be able to adjust the pitch of the prop also to give you some more umph if that is what you are looking for and it is most of the time cheaper to have the prop repaired then to buy a new one most if you want to price on the internet then count the splines on the prop shaft and then measure the prop diameter the pitch of the prop is measured by how much projected distance the prop travels in the water per revolution. hope this helps

Latest posts