Protecting Battery Terminals?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acolic

Reaction score
Hi

is there something you cost the battery terminals to protect him from adverse conditions?

My batteries while they're in a locker I'm worried that the distance from the terminal to the cover and I want to coat them with some type of plastic etc. to prevent the terminals from shorting.

Anyone know of a product?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also most new batteries come with plastic post covers. I bet any battery shop has dozens to give away.

I place penny's near each terminal and glue them down with a little silicone sealer. The copper and zinc cores of the penny's act as sacrificial anodes. Any acid vapors act on the Penney rather than the lead terminals. I use this method on all of my vehicles that use vented lead-acid batteries. It is not so necessary with AGM or sealed maintenance-free batteries. Costs just pennys- literally!

I have a pic of my car battery with penny's. These are about a year old. The penny's usually last 2 or 3 years. They frequently "go bad" by delaminating between the copper and zinc layers.

Attachments

• IMG_3283.JPG
    IMG_3283.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 3,019
Well, "Click and Clack, the car guys" from PBS radio agree with you, mostly. Interesting read.

https://www.springfieldnewssun.com/classifieds/cars/penny-trick-with-battery-dream/ITEhZZ5llNGfYabMQWJ2yH/

Rivernut is correct, the hydrogen gas given off my a charging battery is very corrosive. If the storage area is not properly vented, the gases will corrode anything around it...not to mention create an potentially explosive environment. This is the main reason I chose to go with AGM batteries for my recent Weldbilt build.

Hydrogen gas is explosive, but not usually corrosive (except during activities such as refining metal or welding, etc. where there is high temp, pressure, or a great deal of H contained - like a fuel cell or tank. Hydrogen embrittlement.)

Hydrogen gas is lighter than air, so it should just float up and away.

Of course, there are other gases that a battery can produce, like sulfur dioxide. The rotten egg smell.

The truly frugal would grab a plastic jug, square shaped is best, cut it in half down the seam and strap it over the battery.
Another thing would be to cut some plastic off a small jug and cable tie to the top of the terminal.
Since it is under a cover no one will see just how "frugal" you can be and you can use that money on beer and cigars.

Not that I would do that.
I would haul it to the marina ($150 an hr) and have it all "expertly" done. :roll:
Tim

Latest posts