Putting seat in my boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amairi1

Reaction score
I was thinking about putting seat clamp in my 10ft jon boat with a seat mount on top of it with me seat. I don't like sitting real low in my boat what do you all think
d360508ee6a3cbf64294c95c5afc0db3.jpg
ca8c6cfd86b0f3e230068e2c9637949e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What effect will that have on the center of gravity will it make it tip easier

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

oobuck said:
What effect will that have on the center of gravity will it make it tip easier

So I should just put the seat clamp in and Don't worry about the mount

How wide is the boat and stable currently

Those clamp on seats are dangerous enough without raising the center of gravity!
If you are even going to give it a try, make sure to secure the legs that go down over the seat with some type of bracket so that the whole assembly can't lift off the bench.
I got my screen name from one of those clamp on seat bases that wasn't secured and ejected me backwards into a river at night when it came loose! #-o

overboard said:
Those clamp on seats are dangerous enough without raising the center of gravity!
If you are even going to give it a try, make sure to secure the legs that go down over the seat with some type of bracket so that the whole assembly can't lift off the bench.
I got my screen name from one of those clamp on seat bases that wasn't secured and ejected me backwards into a river at night when it came loose! #-o
**** man

oobuck said:
How wide is the boat and stable currently

It look just like this
45997211d1889e48e6962973d3b78ccd.jpg

Something to consider, I just did it to two of mine to install 3/4" pin seat bases.
I cut an access hole in the front of the bench using a 1 1/2" hole saw and then a jig saw cut across the top and bottom of those 2 holes to gain access to the bottom of the bench. Then I drilled 2 pieces of angle with holes that matched the holes in the bases I was going to install, and then drilled a 2 1/4" hole to install the pin base and the mounting holes in the bench.
OK, here's the trick! I used a piece of thin wire and a small washer through the middle hole of the angle and the middle hole on the bench to hold it in place after I slid it through the access hole so I could get the first bolt started, also taped a piece of narrow aluminum I had laying around onto the wrench to extend it so I could reach under far enough. THEN-put a small piece of electric tape over the box end of the wrench, sticky side up, and pushed the nut into that so that it would stay in the wrench until I got it started. You also don't tighten any bolts until you have both sides in place, just get nuts started to hold things in place, then tighten them all down.
When all done I made a plate out of thin aluminum to cover up the access hole.
You could also put an aluminum plate on top of the bench to further strengthen the seat mount. By installing a pin base you also have the option of the lower seat plus installing the extension and having the raised seat with plenty of strength in the base.
I KNOW: the clamp on is much easier, and I'm a glutton for punishment, but the bases I installed aren't going anywhere! :lol:

overboard said:
Something to consider, I just did it to two of mine to install 3/4" pin seat bases.
I cut an access hole in the front of the bench using a 1 1/2' hole saw and then a jig saw cut across the top and bottom of those 2 holes to gain access to the bottom of the bench. Then I drilled 2 pieces of angle with holes that matched the holes in the bases I was going to install, and then drilled a 2 1/4" hole to install the pin base and the mounting holes in the bench.
OK, here's the trick! I used a piece of thin wire and a small washer through the middle hole of the angle and the middle hole on the bench to hold it in place after I slid it through the access hole so I could get the first bolt started, also taped a piece of narrow aluminum I had laying around onto the wrench to extend it so I could reach under far enough. THEN-put a small piece of electric tape over the box end of the wrench, sticky side up, and pushed the nut into that so that it would stay in the wrench until I got it started. You also don't tighten any bolts until you have both sides in place, just get nuts started to hold things in place, then tighten them all down.
When all done I made a plate out of thin aluminum to cover up the access hole.
You could also put an aluminum plate on top of the bench to further strengthen the seat mount. By installing a pin base you also have the option of the lower seat plus installing the extension and having the raised seat with plenty of strength in the base.
I KNOW: the clamp on is much easier, and I'm a glutton for punishment, but the bases I installed aren't going anywhere! [emoji38]
Can I see a pic of it

I could post a pic., but all you will see is the mounted pin base and the plate over the access hole, no help whatsoever as to how I did it which I tried to explain as best as possible.
Here's one I installed on a deck extension where I had better access.

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,583
To test out what might happen if you put your seat up higher, you might mount the pin base to the bottom of a 5-gallon bucket. Turn the bucket over and STRAP IT DOWN very carefully onto your present bench.

Then, give it a try with your life jacket on and with an empty boat.

That should, at least, give you some idea of what the extra height will do to you.

richg99

Latest posts