Pyle stereo and stereo installation

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twds

Reaction score
I bought a Pyle marine radio new on Ebay. Bought it a few months ago and just now ready to install in my build. Hooked it up and it did not work. Thought the radio must be bad, and too late to send back, so I just bought another pyle stereo only, first one came with speakers and waterproof cover. Just now hooked up the new one I bought off of Amazon and it DOES NOT WORK. Is there something I am doing wrong or two bad radios? I wire the red to the hot of the battery and black to the ground. Did not hook up the constant hot, because I don't want the memory on all the time. The first one I actually even hooked the constanant power up just to make sure. I bought one of the amplified portable antennas. I tried grounding the antenna and the screw for the mounting bracket to another neg going back to the battery in case it needed another ground and still not working. My question is, am I missing sometihng or are Pyle stereos not good? Read reports now on Pyle stereos and three different ones stated after they sent their first one back the second one did work.

Man, that is frustrating. I will leave the connections to the stereo to you and the schematic; but you should absolutely use a meter and verify you have 12v at the leads to the unit. If not, make sure you have good connections to the battery, the battery is good, no funky splices in the wiring, ensure there is a fuse in the fuse holder (and that it is a good fuse) and that any breakers are properly sets to allow current flow. No meter...you should get one, but in the short run you could also hook up another device to the same leads and see if it works. Good luck. Rick

Is there a fuse on the unit itself? Im not familiar with pyle, but i know ive installed car audio where there was a fuse on the unit. What colour is the constant on/time clock wire?

I know I have power to the radio, I tested the plug that goes into the reado and do have power. The fuse on the radio itself is also good. I don't have the radio in front of me, but think the constant power wire is yellow and the other wire I didn't use if for "power antenna". The radio says "self grounding" I assue the black wire from the radio is to be connected back to the neg on the battery.

This is a good thread...I just bought a Pyle stereo on Overtons.com. Hopefully it works. I prolly need to test it...

JoshKeller said:
generally the yellow wire is the switched hot, and the red wire is the constant hot

here's standard color coding for aftermarket radios:

Yellow 12V Constant / Memory
Red Switch / Accessory
Black Ground
Blue Antenna Remote
Blue with White Stripe Amplifier Remote Turn-on
Orange with White Stripe Dash Light Dimmer/Illumination
Green Left Rear Speaker (+)
Green with Black Stripe Left Rear Speaker (-)
White Left Front Speaker (+)
White with Black Stripe Left Front Speaker (-)
Purple Right Rear Speaker (+)
Purple with Black Stripe Right Rear Speaker (-)
Gray Right Front Speaker (+)
Gray with Black Stripe Right Front Speaker (-)

Wallijig said:
JoshKeller said:
generally the yellow wire is the switched hot, and the red wire is the constant hot

here's standard color coding for aftermarket radios:

Yellow 12V Constant / Memory
Red Switch / Accessory
Black Ground
Blue Antenna Remote
Blue with White Stripe Amplifier Remote Turn-on
Orange with White Stripe Dash Light Dimmer/Illumination
Green Left Rear Speaker (+)
Green with Black Stripe Left Rear Speaker (-)
White Left Front Speaker (+)
White with Black Stripe Left Front Speaker (-)
Purple Right Rear Speaker (+)
Purple with Black Stripe Right Rear Speaker (-)
Gray Right Front Speaker (+)
Gray with Black Stripe Right Front Speaker (-)

Some radios are grounded via the case and the black wire.
Some radios require both the yellow and red wires be connected to power.

Not sure if its already been said but the ignition wire could be hooked up to a switch to turn the stereo on and off. I ordered a little 300 watt pyle micro amp and a set of 6.5 inch marine speakers. Should sound good. Shoot some pic's . I want to check out your set up.

hello all I'm very new to this forum and gathering information and parts of my lowe 1440, my intentions are (y'all will not like this) but to have as a boat me and my fiancé to go out on the lake cruise listen to some music stop swim and the occasional fishing, the boat was my fathers and hasn't been used in years so I'm adding many things to my build one of which is a pyle stereo system. I've installed this model stereo several times but the first time gave me a huge headache. the "hot or memory" wire needs to be connected directly to your power source either battery itself or positive bus bar etc....then the negative to obviously your negative "ground" battery or again bus bar however your setup might be, once this is done you must hook your acc switch line up to either a toggle or switch panel preferably fused which then must be grounded as well from your panel or switch, i had the hardest time getting it to work but once hot is connected ground is connected and with connected all having pos and neg leads met the stereo should work fine. not sure if this helps any at all and this is an extremely old thread but just scrolling through to figure out how to set up my rig and thought id add my input.

Thank you for that color coding, Wallijig! I have a Pioneer with a birdsnest hanging from the back of it that I was hoping to put in my van someday. That day just got much closer :D

Latest posts