How many of you enjoy a decent stereo in a boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't get me wrong. I love the sounds of running across the lake in the fog, birds and wildlife coming to life as the sun rises and the silence so quiet I can hear the baitfish splashing as they try to escape whatever is chasing them. When I'm fishing by myself, that is the norm. But there are times the fishing solitude and enjoying nature gets replaced with 6-7 people on the boat, pulling a tube or skier that some old school rock fits the mood.
My boat is only for fishing and will never pull anything. Rarely will see more than 2 people at a time.

Attachments

• 3099.jpeg
    3099.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 0
Just use earphones so no one else has to hear it.
Headphones for 6-7 people while pulling a tube or skier? Really? I mean I get the silence and nature sounds part and enjoy them often when I'm by myself or fishing with my fishing buddy. That doesn't mean that when it's time to rock with a group of friends that I have to be mindful of volume level when I'm running across the main lake. I am mindful when I see fishermen in coves about not getting close to them or sending wakes towards them when avoidable. But to say I need to boat in a quiet enough manner as to not disturb fisher-dude who want me wearing earphones is a bit selfish, IMO. Guess some people expect it their way, all the time.

This is always an interesting topic that is surprisingly polarizing.

It seems like there are 3 camps: 1. LOVE music on the boat, 2. Like music on the boat at times, 3. HATE music on a boat.

The most angry and vocal are almost always #3. Probably due to the super-loud and rude people found in certain areas. They have to vent somewhere! But I think there are a lot of #1 and #2 that don't want to incur the pent-up rage of the #3s, so they keep quiet.

Funny, but I posted this same question on TheHullTruth, a mostly saltwater boat community, and there were a few angry #3s that posted early, but then the majority were comparing what speakers and sound systems they were running. #1's and #2's.

But most from that forum are saltwater fishermen running bigger boats. If you run 20-120 miles in a day, a little music isn't such a bad thing. By comparison, sitting in a little tin boat in the middle of a lake isn't the place for pounding music.

It seems the lines are also drawn by age. My parents are in their 80's. They love 60's and 70's classic rock, just not too loud. On the pontoon, I played a little Zeppelin, Doors, and Pink Floyd at low volumes, and everyone was smiling and enjoying it.

We, in our 50's and 60's tend to like it a little louder, 80's and 90's rock, typically, with a little classic R&B/crossover music mixed in.

The kids, on the other hand tend to like hard-thumping, profanity-filled rap music and terrible-sounding heavy metal or country music. Stuff that makes me want to claw my eardrums out.

Everyone has different tastes. Fortunately, we have freedom to choose what WE like on OUR boats. If a boat passes by playing obnoxious music, just smile and wave and be glad they kept going.

I’m fortunate enough to be able to go on weekdays. My favorite lake is about 1 1/2 hours so I don’t always make the sunrise on the water but I have the two smaller lakes I’m midway between both about 25 minutes and usually very few others on the water early during the weekdays and they’re fishing like me.
One has a creek full of timber and it has some beautiful birds. Hawks a few eagles etc.
It’s cool to watch one swoop down and grab a bigger predator fish.
My sound is a little Altec life guard Bluetooth set of speakers that my wife gave me. The sounds surprisingly good and gets louder than I need.
Thinking about getting another one since they’ll sync together.
Y’all keep your lines tight gotta get busy. I said something yesterday about hooking up and going fishing and my wife pointed to the lot on the other side of the boat. So I’m cutting the spring jungle today. 🤣 Got the rest of the place done and ready for regular cuttings.

This is always an interesting topic that is surprisingly polarizing.

It seems like there are 3 camps: 1. LOVE music on the boat, 2. Like music on the boat at times, 3. HATE music on a boat.

The most angry and vocal are almost always #3. Probably due to the super-loud and rude people found in certain areas. They have to vent somewhere! But I think there are a lot of #1 and #2 that don't want to incur the pent-up rage of the #3s, so they keep quiet.

Funny, but I posted this same question on TheHullTruth, a mostly saltwater boat community, and there were a few angry #3s that posted early, but then the majority were comparing what speakers and sound systems they were running. #1's and #2's.

But most from that forum are saltwater fishermen running bigger boats. If you run 20-120 miles in a day, a little music isn't such a bad thing. By comparison, sitting in a little tin boat in the middle of a lake isn't the place for pounding music.

It seems the lines are also drawn by age. My parents are in their 80's. They love 60's and 70's classic rock, just not too loud. On the pontoon, I played a little Zeppelin, Doors, and Pink Floyd at low volumes, and everyone was smiling and enjoying it.

We, in our 50's and 60's tend to like it a little louder, 80's and 90's rock, typically, with a little classic R&B/crossover music mixed in.

The kids, on the other hand tend to like hard-thumping, profanity-filled rap music and terrible-sounding heavy metal or country music. Stuff that makes me want to claw my eardrums out.

Everyone has different tastes. Fortunately, we have freedom to choose what WE like on OUR boats. If a boat passes by playing obnoxious music, just smile and wave and be glad they kept going.

Your parents have great taste in music!

I think I'm a #4. I like music. I don't enjoy instrusive booming loud music from someone else's speakers. Doesn't matter if I'm in the boat or in the car. I doubt anyone here discussing their sound systems falls in that category.

I might even be a #5 because I would like to listen to Armstrong and Getty in the boat! :)

My boat is just a small aluminum fishing boat. No parties or towing and such going on. Generally I have a hard time finding anyone to go with me anyway. If I do want some music it will be BT headphones from my phone. I don't mind others having music or whatever as long as it isn't blasting everywhere.

My hat say's it all & NOT TRYING TO BE RUDE!/ Don't get me wrong I have Cell set up with station's on it for weather & music I like and I use ear bud's when needed.
But no noise in the boat it's ""serenity time"" , you know the scream of the eagle & reel the splash of a king-fisher & a 8lb'r ETC. ETC.

Attachments

• WIN_20240410_10_13_55_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240410_10_13_55_Pro.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 0
My boat is just a small aluminum fishing boat. No parties or towing and such going on. Generally I have a hard time finding anyone to go with me anyway. If I do want some music it will be BT headphones from my phone. I don't mind others having music or whatever as long as it isn't blasting everywhere.
YEAH WHATS UP WITH THAT,! BEEN AT MY PLACE NOW 10 YRS ASK JUST ABOUT EVERY FELLA AROUND IF THEY FISH IT'S LIKE A DIEASE ALL SAY NAH! i MEAN HEY THE STINK WASH'S OFF & IF YOUR WORRIED ABOUT SOMEONE SNEEKIN IN BACK DOOR WHILE YOUR GONE ? WELL ???
& YEAH KEEP THE MUSIC AND NOSIE TO YOUR SELF , I DONT KNOW ANY FISH THAT LIKE MUSIC EXCEPT ROCK FISH! & I DONT EAT ROCK FISH!

Sorry for caps !

I'm pretty much in the no music on the boat camp, but I just acquired a JBL bluetooth speaker and wow does that thing sound good ! Loud too. Not sure if ever will take it out of the garage, but sure seems ideal for the boat if you really need to have some tunes along. Assuming we all have a cell ph with us, you can have music stored on it or stream radio. Sure seems simpler than screwing around installing a stereo and speakers on your boat.

Because I do marine installations, adding a stereo is no big deal. That being said, I really like some of these BT systems! In a tin boat, this may be a superior way to carry your tunes with you. Plus, you can use it in many situations, not just in the boat.

Nice!