How many of you enjoy a decent stereo in a boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what it's worth, if you have or buy a knock-off brand Yeti, (Walmart, BPS, Amazon, etc.) because of the thicker walls, it gives you a lot more space for better speakers and components. And the thicker walls flex less for better sound. That is what I would use if I wanted to make a better one.

I couldn't find the video showing how to warm up and stretch the inner liner, but that is definitely a good way to go if you want to still use the cooler. If you want a dedicated sound box, you could put a 50AH or even a 100AH lithium battery inside and power lots of stuff besides the music.

My cooler stereo only puts out 12W per channel, but it sounds good, just not very loud. Perfect for sitting under a bridge catching crappie. You could just as easily make a similar unit that puts out enough sound to fill a pontoon boat with music when running at speed. Just use different components.
thill, have you caught crappie and other species with music playing?
If it didn’t Spook crappie from biting I’d say that settles some questions.

Yes. Sitting at the bridges, they don't care if you are playing some low music. With cars going over the bridges and boats running through them constantly, they get pretty immune to noise.

I've never tried bass fishing with music playing but that seems like a bad idea

For most of my boating career, I had a cheap radio in the boat and rarely used it. I didn't want noise when fishing and they sound horrible anyway.

A few years ago, I picked up a 24' Wellcraft that had a serious sound system, with two Kicker amps, a 12" sub and 6 full-range speakers, including a pair of 8" Kenwood marine speakers. What struck me was the QUALITY of the sound. It immersed you in crystal-clear sound, even at very low volumes. A rather pleasant experience.

When entertaining friends and their kids I would crank up music, and it was fun. Kids laughing and dancing around, and parents enjoying it, too. Suddenly, music became part of my boating experience.

Now, I'm rebuilding a runabout, and I'm trying to decide whether or not to add a decent stereo. The system I have in mind will only cost about $400, but that's money I could save, without the option.

So here is the question:
If YOU were looking at a boat to buy, and it was in good shape overall, would having a decent stereo be a plus for you? Would you pay $500 more for a boat with a nice stereo over one with none?

I'm, very interested in your replies.
Back in my saltwater fishing and saltwater boats days (pre bluetooth speakers and Sirius) I liked having a nice stereo. I was also of course a lot younger! Long days on the water and overnight trips to local lslands..made it nice to have fairly loud music.

Nowadays.....no need for my boat to have a stereo...why....I can carry a nice bluetooth speaker and stream Sirius from my phone. The BT speaker will not compare to a system with deep bass and watts, however I do not need that on a fishing boat. I rarely listen to music while fishing as I am focused on finding and hopefully catching some fish! I also enjoy solitude and quietness! In parking lot when cleaning boat and preparing for tow home, I listen to music. Or if camped, I also listen to music.

But to answer your question....looking for a boat to purchase....A sound system is not a plus nor would I pay more (any amount) for a boat with a sound system...all other things being equal. However, I'd pay more for the latest FF/GPS and/or TM if all other things on the boat checked out.

Yes. Sitting at the bridges, they don't care if you are playing some low music. With cars going over the bridges and boats running through them constantly, they get pretty immune to noise.

I've never tried bass fishing with music playing but that seems like a bad idea
I’m wondering about drifting for catfish.

I’m wondering about drifting for catfish.
I catch catfish right under my boat in 8ft of water with the radio on. Flatheads and channels. I catch blues with it on too but I'm always in 20+ ft of water for blues. I don't have it cranked about normal conversation level.

I catch catfish right under my boat in 8ft of water with the radio on. Flatheads and channels. I catch blues with it on too but I'm always in 20+ ft of water for blues. I don't have it cranked about normal conversation level.
Thank you sir. I appreciate the information. I’m asking a question about sonar on a new thread. Since you’re a fellow cat fisherman I’d appreciate your opinion. I’m learning about the type of fishing I’m trying to do and appreciate input from veterans.
EDIT: I just read what I typed here and it didn’t sound right to me. I appreciate every bit of input from all of y’all. To me you’re all veterans.
I really enjoy the conversations we have. Y’all let me run off topic and go right with me. I’ve had more fun on here t sometimes than actually being on the water.
I figure I keep talking to you folks and one of these days I might actually catch some fish.

Last edited:
Channel catfish in shallow rivers can be pretty smart.

As a kid, I spent many an afternoon trying to catch the big ones I could see traveling up and down a Kentucky river. (Turkey Branch?) I only fooled one once, and I'll never forget it.

It was perfect timing. I had just peeled a fresh crawfish tail when I saw a pack of big cruisers heading upstream like submarines. I stuck the tail on a hook and tossed it well upstream of the fish. As they cruised by, I saw one of them pause for a second, and it's gills flared. Could it be????

My line came tight, my rod doubled and my Zebco 202 screamed drag. YES!!!!!

The pack of catfish never slowed down or broke formation. For maybe 10 seconds I felt the awesome power that fish possessed, as I held on, unable to do anything. And then came the sound that I still hate more than almost any other...

-plink-

It had reached the end of my line. I believe that was the first time I'd ever heard my drag scream and the first time a big fish spooled me and broke me off. I stood there, heart racing, watching the pack of fish majestically continue into the distance. Wow.

Since then, I have seen big ones in "cruising mode" many times, but have never fooled those fish again.

Usually, I catch channel cats by accident when throwing spoons, jigs and especially crankbaits.

The last one I can remember was big, maybe 15-20 lbs. I was fighting a bluegill on my 5wt fly rod and suddenly a fast, dark shape shot out of the deep, after the bluegill. What is that?!? WHAM! I was shocked as the big fish turned toward the deep, gills flaring as it gulped my fish.

I had a flashback to when I was 10. Maybe I would get this one? I took a breath and set the hook.

Just like when I was a kid, my rod doubled over, my heart raced and it took drag at will. I couldn't even slow it down. And again, a few seconds later, my line went slack. I reeled in the bluegill, dead as a stone.

I still wonder how long that fight would have lasted. My tippet was probably only 4 lb test, but at least he hadn't broken me off. Small victory!

Channel cats have a special place in my heart, very different than the other catfish. They are true gamefish, in my opinion. The others are just big, strong, easy and fun.

As a kid, I spent many an afternoon trying to catch the big ones I could see traveling up and down a Kentucky river. (Turkey Branch?) I only fooled one once, and I'll never forget it.

It was perfect timing. I had just peeled a fresh crawfish tail when I saw a pack of big cruisers heading upstream like submarines. I stuck the tail on a hook and tossed it well upstream of the fish. As they cruised by, I saw one of them pause for a second, and it's gills flared. Could it be????

The pack of catfish never slowed down or broke formation. For maybe 10 seconds I felt the awesome power that fish possessed, as I held on, unable to do anything. And then came the sound that I still hate more than almost any other...

-plink-

It had reached the end of my line. I believe that was the first time I'd ever heard my drag scream and the first time a big fish spooled me and broke me off. I stood there, heart racing, watching the pack of fish majestically continue into the distance. Wow.

Since then, I have seen big ones in "cruising mode" many times, but have never fooled those fish again.

Usually, I catch channel cats by accident when throwing spoons, jigs and especially crankbaits.

The last one I can remember was big, maybe 15-20 lbs. I was fighting a bluegill on my 5wt fly rod and suddenly a fast, dark shape shot out of the deep, after the bluegill. What is that?!? WHAM! I was shocked as the big fish turned toward the deep, gills flaring as it gulped my fish.

I had a flashback to when I was 10. Maybe I would get this one? I took a breath and set the hook.

Just like when I was a kid, my rod doubled over, my heart raced and it took drag at will. I couldn't even slow it down. And again, a few seconds later, my line went slack. I reeled in the bluegill, dead as a stone.

I still wonder how long that fight would have lasted. My tippet was probably only 4 lb test, but at least he hadn't broken me off. Small victory!

Channel cats have a special place in my heart, very different than the other catfish. They are true gamefish, in my opinion. The others are just big, strong, easy and fun.
I like your story. Thanks for sharing. One of our stock tanks we had when I was growing up was well stocked with channel cat. Couldn’t get them to bit a thing. Not even liver. One day we saw my Mom on the other side catch one. Then another. She was laughing. We were all using frozen shrimp.. But she started peeling them first.

-plink-

Zebco 202..... many childhood memories!

In the last few years, we switch to fishing for channel cats when the river goes high and muddy. Caught my personnel best last year, 14lbs. :) No music was playing. ;)

Zebco 202..... many childhood memories!

In the last few years, we switch to fishing for channel cats when the river goes high and muddy. Caught my personnel best last year, 14lbs. :) No music was playing. ;)
What do you catch them on in muddy water?

What do you catch them on in muddy water?
Cut bait. Mostly large minnows or chunks of suckers. How they find it, still amazes me. We anchor, and no bites after 15-20 minutes, we move. Usually, only two rods out.

That makes sense. I think they are visual feeders mostly, so waiting until it's muddy makes them more dependent on smell. Thanks, I'll remember that trick!

I’m new to drift fishing for big catfish. Going back to Somerville Wednesday. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll be able to catch some fresh bait.
This time I’ll be ready for hybrid stripers schooling as well.

I have caught my share of channel cat. I try to keep a bucket of chum brewing that I use. It’s some pretty rank stuff. I’ll put chum out in a few spots. Then start fishing the first spot. I’ve caught them on liver , punch bait , shad etc. They’ll all have grain from the chum in their belly’s.

-plink-

They will happily chomp a crawler harness or crankbait occasionally, especially in June when they're spawning here. Flatheads will hit a crankbait from time to time as well.

I have tried eating them but the yellow meat was definitely not my favorite.