Q PT Burner/7' Shimano med.heavy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zum

Reaction score
Heres my initial thoughts on my new combo.
First the rod,it's a compre 6'10 med/heavy
Before this combo my longest rod was 6.5' and only a med.action.
It didn't start off good,pretty sure it's me and not the rod but I was jerking the lure right from the fish.Finally had one on,got it close to the boat and noticed I was having a real hard time trying to lip it,combination of longer rod and to stiff.Next thing(a first for me)the lure flies out the fishes mouth and hits me right in the face,with the front trebles hooking into the lens of my glasses and the rear treble smacks me in the face...glad I was wearing glasses and I'm for sure buying a net.I only brought that one rod so it forced me to use it...must say I was alittle tired throwing that thing and only for 3 hours.

Next the reel...Quantum Tour edition burner 7.0:1
My pros...diffenitly fast after I tuned it in casted nice real nice,smooth drag.
My cons...I think the drags messed up,although real smooth,couldn't get it tight enough.I could pull the line out,even with it cranked tight down??Maybe it's just because it's a good reel and it's just that smooth??
Other then the drag,everthing else worked fine,even though I threw an Xrap up a tree and had to cut my line.

I always find a way to lose a good lure too!!

i think you will learn to like the M/H. I had a hard time when i got my first one, but now it is the first one i pick up for a lot of things. I seem to have mixed reviews on my Quantum. I have an Acurist PT and at first i loved it. The thing cast lures with a little weight a mile! But i switched it to use on my plastics rod, and it cant throw a worm with a 1/4 weight 10 feet. :? Also the thumb bar is starting to get stuck down....But then again, it is not Tour Edition.

Did you get the older Tour (Blue) or the new smaller one with the red highlights?

Think it's the older one.reel 002.jpg
Used it again today,wish I could get the drag tighter,other then that I like it so far.

Yeah that is the older one. It was really popular. It thought it was kinda big for my hands though. My Quantum has a reel weak drag too. Especially when i use it after i use my Revo. I hope you get used to your ACS cast control on your more than i have on mine. I hate it...

I have my best luck with baitcasters by using little to no controls at all.I find if I adjust to much,I try to overthrow and thats when I get into trouble.The knob on the side that you are supposed to adjust so it falls slowly,I hardly ever touch and the ACS is only used for wind control.I use my thumb mostly.
It's just the drag,thats a drag right now,the rest i like.

It could be some grease got into the drag system, when you hunker the drag down it shouldnt move, take it back and get another reel, the drags not working right. Did you get it fixed? and I know this is a little late.

I havn't dug into it yet.
Drag still sucks,like you say when I tighten it up I shouldn't be able to pull line,atleast not as easy as I am.
I bought it at Cabelas or was it BPS,can't even remember right now.
I don't think it will go back,to much hassel,thats why I normally buy local.
I'm still getting good hook sets but just don't like having to bottom out the drag/

I had the same problem on two of my Burners also. Not even a year old. I am switching everything over to Shimano except for my 3 Quantum spinning outfits. No problems with them at all except a broken spool bar due to running in four footers on the upper bay.

Latest posts