question about gear ratio???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kemical

Reaction score
i see alot of nice looking reels, and i see theres are alot of different kinds of gear ratios, 6.2.1 to 7.1.1.
(What does it mean????) :?: :?: :?: :-k :-k
can someone please explain or someone can direct me to an answer for these different kinds of gear ratios, i dont know what is the difference..

thanks guys!!!

This means that for every 1 full turn of the handle...the spool turns that many times(5:1, 6:1, etc).

So what that does is either slows, or speeds up the reels retrieval.

Gear ratios refer to how much lie is being retrieved per turn of the handle. The higher the number like 7.1:1
Will make the lure come back allot faster than say a 6.4:1 which is in the middle (slower than 7 but good for all around purpose). Then you might find reels with a 5 gear ratio for super slow retrieve but crazy torque (Swimbaits).

So the norm is a fast reel for frogs and spinnerbaits
Medium reel for all around everything
and a slow cranker for deep crankbaits and swimbaits.

But that is not set in stone.

And Bubba explained all that in one sentence :LOL2: :beer:

I'll take a stab at it... it's by no means perfect though so dont hold me to it.

The gear ratio of your reel tells you how many time the spool turns with one complete turn of your reel handle. So for example, if your reel is a 7:1:1 ratio reel, each time you turn the handle once complete circle, your spool which holds you line turns 7 complete circles. The higher the gear ratio (7:1:1) the faster your lure will be retrieved... the lower the ratio (4:1:1) the slower your bait will be retrieved when cranked at the exact same speed. Generally for Bass fishing, highspeed reels are generally used for jigs, T-Rigs, Carlina-Rigs, etc. where there is little need for constant movement of your lure. Once you hook-up on the fish, the faster speeds allow you to exert a little more power and get your fish to the boat faster. Lower ratios are used primarily for crankbaits and spinnerbatis where constant movement is required at a slow pace but there is no need to force or rush your fish to the boat. Of course it's important to match the right reel and its ratio with the correct length and action of rod but I'll leave that for someone else to get into.

Like I said, I know thats not a perfect answer but hopefully it will help a little. Below is a link to a definition and brief explanation of Gear Ratio, maybe it will help too.

https://www.answers.com/topic/gear-ratio?cat=technology

:LOL2: I started before anyone had responded... looks like I was a little slow. Guess I'm a 4:1:1 kind of guy... :LOL2:

lol... good one...
thanks guys,, wow, i knew i can always get an answer from anyone regarding the gear ratio,,
thanks, helps me understand the ratio

you also have to take in consideration the line receipt that the reel gets as well usually measured in inches per revolution

ahhh gear ratio, a subject that's been on my mind lately. You see I'm about to build a 7'6" flipping stick and people have said that a 7.01:1 is great for pitching and flipping. I'd been drooling and planning on buying a Zillion but @ $249.00 I just couldn't do it, then I saw the deal at Cabelas for the Quantum Tour PT and had to snatch one up today, $129.00 marked down from $239.00!......I'm so weak!

https://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=cat21404_ntw4&id=0037481120573a&navCount=0&podId=0037481&parentId=cat602222&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=8IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat602222&hasJS=true

It is a common false preconception that a higher gear ratio means higher line retrieval per handle turn. What it really means is how many revolutions the spool makes per handle turn. So if it revolves 5 times per one "crank," then it is a 5:1 gear ratio, etc. I have heard that some 6.3:1 gear ratio reels have just as much line retrieval per handle turn as a 5.1:1. This is dictated by the inches/turn value, a higher number means more line retrieval.

That being said, a higher gear ratio does not always mean faster retrieve rate. It is usually the case, and is a good general rule of thumb, but if you want to fastest reel you can get, always check the inches/turn value.

SMDave said:
That being said, a higher gear ratio does not always mean faster retrieve rate. It is usually the case, and is a good general rule of thumb, but if you want to fastest reel you can get, always check the inches/turn value.

Exactly - it also depends on the size of the spool w/ the amount of line left after a cast.

SMDave said:
It is a common false preconception that a higher gear ratio means higher line retrieval per handle turn. What it really means is how many revolutions the spool makes per handle turn. So if it revolves 5 times per one "crank," then it is a 5:1 gear ratio, etc. I have heard that some 6.3:1 gear ratio reels have just as much line retrieval per handle turn as a 5.1:1. This is dictated by the inches/turn value, a higher number means more line retrieval.

Yeah..Good Point, When I said "either slows, or speeds up the reels retrieval"...I was referring to if you were speaking of the same reel...just different ratios.

Latest posts